Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarred For Life.

Options
  • 17-11-2023 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭

Any fans of this? From the team behind on the series of books of the same name on scary and inappropriate pop culture of the 70s and 80s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

I mostly enjoy the podcast and they've had some pretty impressive guests so far. I find it tougher going if they start reminiscing at length about '70s ads and TV series but that's a personal thing. I'm younger than the presenters (veiled "I'm not in my fifties" comment 😆) and grew up in two-channel-land. This definitely puts me at a disadvantage because I never saw many of these ads or TV series. Having said that, I like the idea of what they're doing here. We were all exposed to some pretty dark stuff in the 70s and 80s, even in Ireland. Andy Bush the presenter is pretty good but they are struggling to include the two other guys in the show. Not that I'm complaining. There's only so much of Steve the Scouser and his "I was terrified" anecdotes anybody can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

From two channel land here too. I'm not "quite" in my 50s but will be next year. A lot of the shows mentioned were shown on RTE in my time and even the more unfamiliar stuff is still interesting to hear about.

Would love if they had an Irish guest, someone like Pat McCabe would be ideal. Or if someone did a similar Irish based podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't think there's enough Irish-only material to sustain a podcast. But in the right hands, somebody could make a cracking documentary on those safety ads we all grew up with. Some of them were bought in from the UK and re-voiced (the frisbee in the pylon one springs to mind) but we had plenty of our own. Who can forget "Where's Granddad?" or the kid drowning in the back garden while his mum natters on the phone? Or the animation of the cuddly family pet turning into a sheep-killing monster? The deaf kid having "Ba!" shouted into his ear by a nurse. The nightdresses which went on fire if you stood too close to the fire. John being told to put the cat out, then finding his house about to go on fire because he hadn't stubbed his cigarette out properly. I'm sure there are more but that's enough for now. They're burned into my brain despite my not having seen most of them since the 80s.

Advertisement