Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cake Recipes

Options
  • 16-11-2023 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to make a Christmas cake over the weekend. Usually follow a Neven Maguire recipe, but can't remember which one I used in the past.

There's one out there called MacNean Christmas Cake (uses four eggs)

The other one is called MacNean Traditional Christmas Cake (uses six eggs). The latter is obviously a much larger cake but it also had proportionately more fruit. This one if from Neven Cooks (Chapter 9: Christmas in Cavan).

Anyone else familiar with these recipes and have a preference for one over the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I'm doing one from an old cook book of my mother-in-law. My wife normally does it, but her dad had a stroke so she's busy with visiting him, I said I'd give it a go this year.

20cm/8in Round

• 650g of Raisins/Sultanas/Currants
    • 100g Glace Cherries
    • 100g Mixed peel
    • 100g Mixed Nuts
    • 1 Grated Lemon Rind
    • 60ml Brandy

All of that into a mixing bowl, stirred up and left overnight

• 225g Plain Flour
    • Tsp Mixed Spice
    • 50g Ground Almonds
    • 200g Soft Brown Sugar
    • 200g Butter
    • 15ml Treacle
    • 4 Eggs

All of that into another mixing bowl and use a mixer to get it smooth and glossy, then combine the two bowls, folding the mix together making sure the fruit is evenly through the batter.

Into a cake tin prepared/lined with greaseproof paper, then into the oven at 140c and test after 2.5hrs, if it's not ready give it another 20mins and check again, then at 10min intervals

Allow it cool fully in the tin, take it out and leave it wrapped in the greaseproof. You can poke holes in the top of the cake now, and start to feed it with Brandy, Whiskey or Rum every couple of weeks.

Advertisement