Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suzuki SV650 Clutch

Options
  • 16-11-2023 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm tempted by an ad for a 2003 SV650 at the right price, but the seller says the clutch "is gone". The minimum that could be wrong with it is that the cable needs to be adjusted, but what is the most that could be wrong with the gearbox on this particular model and what would it be likely to cost to repair.

I'm reasonably capable of doing the work and have done major engine and gearbox work on 1960s Triumphs, but that was many years ago, during my previous period of owning bikes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Nothing much to it. Buy a clutch kit from wemoto or similar. Drop the oil (or lean the bike on its side) remove side casing replace the clutch plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

That's what I thought. Kits available online at various prices ranging from about €80 to about €180. Job looks straightforward.

Just as a basis for making an offer on the bike, what would the labour charge be, on a clutch change?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Silent Shrill

The only problem that could happen is a fault with the gearbox. You will not know until you rectify the clutch if there is a fault elsewhere. All motorbikes can suffer gearbox problems such as slipping out of gear, hard to get in gear, and others. It's always a case of buyer beware.

To replace the clutch is a fairly straightforward job. If you can ride the bike first, test the gears change without hindrance. A clutch does not just "go", it starts to slip then eventually not pull at all. Might be best to open the clutch case first to inspect inside before committing to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

As it happened, the vendor ghosted me, for some strange reason. I bought an excellent issue-free SV elswhere.

Advertisement