Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance and rear tinted windows

Options
  • 16-11-2023 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I’m just enquiring, If one gets the back three windows of their car (rear back window and back seat passenger windows) tinted - should this be declared to your insurance company?

a lot of cars come with this as standard from the factory now - so just wondering would be there an increase in premium paid for modifying the car ?

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think modifications to the bodywork can impact negatively on the cost of your premium but these would be things like lowering the suspension or fitting new parts like spoilers. Having your rear windows tinted would not come into that category at all even if the tint is the darkest available which is 20% , I think. Backward visibility is not reduced to the point where it becomes hazardous to drive. It's not necessary to inform your insurer.

It's not an NCT issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The only angle they’d have is that it’s a modification. I wouldn’t worry too much about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There is a legal percentage of light that must pass through the tinted windows afaik. Be careful you don't go below that.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Only for the front passenger windows and the windscreen. You can paint everything behind the front doors black and it will be legal, plenty of vans have no rear windows.

I checked with my insurance company recently about wrapping my car. They aren't worried about cosmetic modifications, once you start cutting or bolting they care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

It's safest to notify insurer to be sure. Most ask has car been modified from factory specification and that includes aftermarket radios, tinting etc.

Part of the reason is that maybe the car radio is more likely to be robbed but mostly as you are more likely to be a boy racer/ car enthusiast. This is a way of separating them from ordinary drivers and also a way of denying claims when it comes to a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I tried to but they didn't care that I'd wrapped my car. As I said they are only worried about performance or physical modifications, of which a radio is but wraps and rear tints aren't

Advertisement