Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse trap in shed

Options
  • 15-11-2023 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

I put a trap in the shed and there's a dead mouse every morning

Is the bait in the trap just drawing in mice that otherwise wouldn't be there ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

have a similar issue here they love a bit of fried rasher. eventually the will stop coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Rosahane

You catch more of them this time of the year. I usually get one every week or two during the summer abut up to two or three a week at this time of the year.

Eventually it tapers off.

I use a bit of milk chocolate as bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

Seal up any places you think they are getting in. Don't put a trap down for a few days. If you see fresh droppings around the shed. You've missed some place they are getting in and set your trap again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

Mice will get in a tiny gap. Won't be able to block gaps in sheds most likely. We had a heap of mice in the shed, and later a heap in the house. Didn't realise the number until there were many of them.

No such thing as 1 I've found. Caught 11 when they moved from shed into house. More recently it was 3 only. Leave traps in both places if you can.

I leave permanent traps behind the cooker where pets or kids can't get hurt. Mice like that route. Check trap can't hit power cables when it closes. Had a few caught in autumn when the heat of the house is warmer than outside. You'll know when trap gets one, can get the smell.

We've an old house so can't mouse proof it. And we leave the back door open pretty much all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Think there's only 1 place they were getting in under the door, I've blocked the gap and set a trap so Il know soon

• Advertisement

Yes it's usually where they get in under the door or of there is 2 does where they meet. If possible screw a timber strip at the bottom of the door that it's just literally a cats whisper from the ground.

Its always possible to seal any shed or house regardless of its age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Get a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Aye buggers invaded me as garage door popped open and got into kitchen . Electric repellents not working or old and too high up.

Found bait i bought 10 years ago and emptied a sachet into jam jar lid and bait got eaten 3 days later.

1 big bastard under the dish washer and 1 small one under press now removed .

Think there is one baby as came into bedroom to say hello 😂

4 new devices plugged into sockets around the house plus a bigger one that is said to keep clear a 4 bedroom house.

still a few gaps to plug in around cable entries. + bought some copper cage strip to fill gaps.

One is much bigger than the others? Of the 15-ish I’ve caught in traps over the last few years, they have all been the size of a matchbox give or take (excluding the tail). But maybe a pregnant one is much larger?? 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

One tip an old pest control guy gave me was if you can get a pencil under the door or in a gap and can wiggle it a bit then a mouse can get through it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Yeah, which means you can't stop them. Certainly not in an old house like ours anyway, with extensions and changes that have been added over the years and gaps under floors that we don't even know are there.

Remove food sources – that’s a big one. We got a strainer for the kitchen sink and that’s helped a lot. Before we’d wash down a lot of food into the drain over the course of the day, by rinsing bowls. So it became an unexpected food source outside the kitchen.

In the shed I'd a load of sunflower heads, and other seeds that were drying. They loved them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You can get some idea of the hole size from this but this fat fecker didn't get stuck.

Might be a mistake putting the poison bait under the floorboards with that much cabling as imo rats and mice will chew on plastic cables and pipes after eating the bait.

Wake me up when it's all over.

They can fit through spaces the width of their whiskers. Just like a cat.

If your catching long tails ones though it's not a mouse. It's a rat.

He screwed the boards down in that video so easy enough to lift after time and check. But that's up to whoever owns the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

100% ive the door open half time in garage they dont venture in.....to the cats lair! :)

Advertisement