Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymakenny

Options
  • 15-11-2023 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just thinking of buying a house in Ballymakenny Park in Drogheda, any comments on the area will be greatly appreciated. I have only been to the estate and liked the house but have no idea about Drogheda, how are the transport links from there, any schools around and how is the access to Dublin. Any info will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Ballymakenny Road is a grand area, its a bit out of town but as with all the new housing out that way its likely to fill in. Needs some amenity like at least a grocery store and think there is some plan but for that and not sure beyond that.

Schools wise it's well resourced with three just up the road, two primary and one secondary. Road gets busy as a result. New footpaths all the way out and the Cross route (when done) to the North Rd will help you get to the M1 albeit north of toll. It's the wrong side of town for the train station but you can get Matthew's bus to Dublin from North Rd.

Bus eireann town bus service often park up at Listoke Avenue which you might know is also a new estate very close to Ballymakenny Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jackstow

there are plans for a supermarket on the Ballymakenny Road very close the Ballymakenny park, the planning permission was approved by the county concil, but the manager of Spar in Drogheda appealed the decision, on the grounds that there are too many car park etc 😒

the decision was due by the end of November, now its been postponed to Feb/2024 due to shortage of staff or something

planning permission and appeal documents: https://www.eplanning.ie/LouthCC/AppFileRefDetails/221020/0 (click twice to open)

appeal: https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/case/317657

• Registered Users Posts: 1 k92024

Ridiculous that that sort of thing is able to happen- clearly just minding his own patch!

One man stopping a community amenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 caesared

Hey there, I'm also considering moving to Ballymakenny Park. Is the area safe? I see there is almost no buses for going to the train station and the commute to Dublin is not so easy. I'll be living alone so buying an electric scooter would be helpful for me I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

At the risk of stating the obvious, if you are planning on commuting to Dublin, especially by train, you are better off looking for a place nearer to the train station. Ballymackney Park to train station is a hassle, whatever the mode of transport - as you will have to negotiate a lot of traffic, a lot of junctions, busy parts of town, uneven sidewalks, etc etc.

Try Bryanstown Manor etc closer to the station, or further out like Gragerath etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JoeLapira

I live near Ballymakenny Park and my fiancée commutes by train every morning to Dublin. She gets the 6.45 to dublin, gets to the train station in 10 mins. The area is nice and quiet and there is a bus into town which is great. Plenty of schools too and no more than 10 mins away from a shop of some description

Advertisement