Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotment Business

Options
  • 15-11-2023 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi

i own 6 acres of land suitable for an allotment business,

1. Could anybody advise me on the legalities of this enterprrise.
    2. what insurances do I need?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The land would have to be very flat with access to fresh running water, have decent parking and very near a major conurbation.

Public Liability would be your major concern legally and insurance-wise so security would need to considered. Fencing off 6 acres with 8 foot+ partitions will not be cheap, maybe look at thorn hedging instead.

You might want to talk to your local council to see if they would be interested in working with you.

According to above, you get 16 plots to an acre so potential of 96 allotments if the land is regular shaped. Charge €10 per week, payable yearly in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

I know a lad that does it in area with massive population, doesn't promote it - has 30 max at e300 a year. If there is a council operated one nearby forget it, iirc they charge peanuts. Has a ta n throws out a load of dung each year, that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

Hello,

1. they are plenty around the country and some of them advertise so it seems legal (i don’t see why it wouldn’t be either)
    2. it could be the pain point

where are you located? Are you near a big enough city?

Advertisement