Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer house to council

Options
  • 15-11-2023 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

I inherited my parents house. I am selling without transfer of deeds.

The council posted an expression of interest for housing on their web site.

Some of the info they want is:

• Proof of land / property ownership by vendor (i.e. copy of folio)

• Confirmation of acreage for land or confirmation of property size for properties

• Price

Would there be any issues with the house in parent's name? I presume the folio is part of the deed documents.

Who would I get to measure the house and garden? Could I do it myself with a surveyor's tape or should it be a professional/certified job? The valuer's report for the will stated a gross internal measurement only.

Would I just quote them the valuer's figure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

A folio is what the PRA uses as a "deed" of a property. Each one will have a number, and you can get a copy of it of from the PRA for a small fee. It just shows the extent of the property, any special clauses and the owner.

I would pay a professional and certified surveyor to look at the property. You could do it yourself, but it's best to have everything official.

I'm not sure about the price, but if the council is interested, why now ask them what the property is worth to them before you tell them your price?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

RE the price, get a valuation from an estate agent and add 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Would folio number be stated on the deeds? I am looking for them. Have a solicitor's receipt for the conveyancing 50 years ago but the solicitor is hard work.

Solicitor said there is no problem selling a house where the deeds are still in parent's name but wondering if it's the same when dealing with the council.

If I get a surveyor out to measure should I get him to do anything else? As a seller is there anything else I am required to do? BER?

Sorry for 20 questions.

I worked in the PRA years ago. Back then, it was possible to look at a map, pick out a property and find the folio number from that. I'd say that it's more automatic these days as they have land-direct:

Alternatively, just give them a call. You used to have to go into the offices in the four Courts, but I'm sure that they could find the folio based off the address.

The numbers themselves are organised by county, so a folio for Dublin would be something like DN1234F. However, as I recall, not all properties have a PRA folio. Rather, they have only a deed that will be in the Registry of Deeds, but my experience was that these were only very old houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

If not bothered about the neighbours, add 50% n sell to Peter mcverry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I searched for the folio on the land registry website. It's asking a couple of questions when adding the folio to basket.

Selected Folio With Map and got this

Does the printing scale issue matter? Should I go for the Special Registration Map product in the dialog?

If all you want to see is the boundary of the property, I don't think that the scale would matter. With folio and the map, you'll see the extent of the property outlined in red, and the details of anything like rights of way that may exists. I can't remember the precise sale of the maps off-hand, however.

Advertisement