Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy

Options
  • 15-11-2023 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I've been working for a company for over 5 years and it looks like my role will become redundant. I've had one call with my Manager/HR so far, it's just me affected so not a collective one. I know there's no consultation period and in the end, they will need to give me 4 weeks' notice.

Should I have received a letter/email to say that I'm at risk of redundancy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I was in the exact same position as you. From my experience, I just got a phone call letting me know which then followed by an email telling me my last day of work. I got a month’s notice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

You don't need to answer on thread obviously, just something to think about.

Are the reasons for redundancy valid?

If it's just you being impacted , is there no where else in the company you could be moved to?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭thefa

I had a meeting with my manager informing me I was at risk of redundancy, almost immediately followed by an email.

Both the meeting and email explained the process, that there would be a follow up meeting where I could seek further info and the date by which the review would be complete. Further info also provided to HR and more. Pretty big company and was part of a wider process.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If it's part of a MNC headcount reduction programme, then fighting it isn't worth the effort. Big companies have clever lawyers.

The OP has stated it's just them.....it begs the question are they being targeted or is there a legitimate business reason...as in project finishing up etc.

After 5 years you'd expect to be able to slot into another role within the company unless it's a very niche company with a low headcount to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

You don’t mention compensation…. But they can’t let you go without paying you!

I had a very similar thing happen to me. I was the only one let go (there was 7 on the customer service team in total and that included coworkers in another country!) Not sure if OP is similar, but I was given the reason that they were just restructuring and changing direction so my role would no longer be needed (the others were sitting in a higher role than me, even though I trained in a new person that started literally 2 months before I was let go)

Well I would have been very dubious in your position. To me that reads more like a dismissal and depending on the redundancy package I may have gone the solicitor route.

Depends on your appetite to fight I suppose as these things can drag out.

Or whether you think, feck it, I'll take redundancy, nice little lump sum and I've a new job starting in 2 weeks.

Everyone's circumstances and outlook to these things are different.

However if I was the only one being let go, I'd be asking lots of questions, especially if my performance reviews were up to scratch, attendance etc all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭Trampas

I presume no union in the place. In the whole place you’re not the only one going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

The question of compensation here is key. Redundancy can often work out quite nice, particularly if you can find another position quite easily. The job market is in a good shape at the moment, so if you can find a new position without too much friction (i.e. need to relocate, move to a completely different role, etc.) then I would consider taking the money (assuming it's a decent offer of course) and moving on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Ashley02

Thanks everyone, I don't want to get too specific about my role (just in case) but my role is one that doesn't really belong to a team, it's more independent, they did offer me a much lower role with tasks that are very different to what I'm doing but I declined it.

I believe apart from Statutory, they'll give two months pay on top. I don't know if the 30 days notice is additional or included in this or if I'm to work it. I think the hardest bit about all this is the not knowing and being kept hanging. I won't find out till next week at the earliest. I suppose at least I'm still getting paid for now!

I asked via email if I was at risk of redundancy and no reply after two days so I'm guessing they don't want to answer it and would rather just give me the notice. There's no union in my workplace. I wasn't sure if I needed to be told formally that I was at risk.

I just decided it wasn’t worth the hassle and took the pay which was fairly good. The worst part was my manager didn’t want me to go and didn’t think I should have - it was the CEO’s decision apparently. He wanted to go in a different direction and change things up, which meant my role was no longer required - I was the only one in the role

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭thefa

Kind of a weird situation where you have certain information indicating what’s happening but lack of official comms.

Realise this may be a smaller operation but I would encourage you to at least push for a better package if they are botching the process.

Record and document what you can so far, just in case. May be useful if you end up seeking legal advice if it’s going down a route where you are getting screwed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If they did redundancy before I can't see them offering better or worse terms so you should get the same. It's worth asking if you are getting the same terms and if not why not. You probably can't haggle about money but what about training or equipment like keeping your laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

That compensation package is quite poor, works out at less than 2 weeks per year

The package ended up being:

Being put on gardening leave for 2 months, statutory redundancy for 5 years and an ex gratia payment of 2 months salary.

At least it gets me through December & January as normal.

That's a fairly decent package.

You'll be entitled to JSA too, and you should get a "retraining grant" I think it's up to 5k. That needs to be used within 6 months, it doesn't have to be "academic" it can be hobby based too!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

Glad that the OP got sorted out and hopefully on the route to securing another role.

I am in a similar position and have a few follow up questions:

1) Does the redundancy date only kick off after the 2 months gardening leave?

2) Were you paid the redundancy immediately?

3) What happens if you find a role with a start during the gardening leave period?

4) Is the ex gratia payment taxed as normal PAYE or does it fall under a non taxable redundancy payment?

5) For anyone else out there: what happens with unvested RSU's that may be vesting within a few months after redundancy? Are they all lost?

Sorry to hear you're in the same boat. My redundancy date is the date they gave me effective notice. I'm not getting paid redundancy until the 2nd month of my gardening leave, my ex gratia payment will be paid the following month - it's liable to tax but looking at the lump sum guidelines, I think I should be ok and it shouldn't be taxed.

You can't start a job during this gardening leave, it must take place afterwards - maybe you could negotiate that they pay you in lieu of the gardening leave?

Advertisement