Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearse Street Research Room

Options
  • 15-11-2023 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

This was always a favourite place for looking up records etc. Before covid it was open 6 days a week, no lunch break and a decent cafe. The following is what is now available:

"We still have the Dublin directories (including the Thom's directories), DCC minutes and reports and some reference books on the back wall but an appointment should be made if you wish to consult these. There have been some changes to the layout of the Reading Room and the café is no longer in operation. 

The Dublin City Library and Archive (DCLA) Reading Room is open by appointment during the following hours: 

Tuesday       10:00-16:30

Wednesday     10:00-16:30

Thursday       10:00-16:30

You must request the material that you wish to consult in advance. If you arrive without an appointment we will not be able to retrieve material for you.

Please email cityarchives@dublincity.ie or dublinstudies@dublincity.ie to make an appointment, providing as much information as you can about the material you want to consult. You can also ring the Reading Room on 01 222 4996 or 01 222 4999. 

You will need a DCLA Research card to access the Reading Room and the collections. If you do not have one, please bring photo ID with you to apply for a Research card when you arrive. Anyone who wishes to view our collections can get a DCLA research card. "

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, very disappointing reduction of services.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Agreed cobham - it was a favourite of mine too.

What's the reason for the reduction - staffing issues, budget, or something else?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

At least some of it will be the extensive renovation project.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Oh, I wasn't aware of that.

Hopefully the end result is worth the current reduced service.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

I thought renovation had already been done? I fear it is part of move to online with as much as possible. Werbergh BMD records are still at one day a week access. My local library is a small temporary set up with online booking of books and then collect and return all done thru self scan machine. So no serendipity of a good browse....😒

• Advertisement

So no serendipity of a good browse...

That is certainly one of the pleasures of book shops, libraries and the like.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement