Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret path!

Options
  • 15-11-2023 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭

Just passed this one day and notice a guy coming out on a mountain bike. Has anyone used it or know is it cycleable if I took a notion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

It's a cool way to walk down to the Lower Road - comes out opposite the Canoe Ireland training centre: https://maps.app.goo.gl/yCqmxfvarDr2HoJT8

I think that it would be tough on a mountain bike (especially uphill) but the guy might have some serious quads, or low gearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dissq1

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Praetorian22

I believe it's called the Sand Pits if I'm not mistaken, must have a gander myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah I've cycled it with my kids so it's very manageable, but it's narrow in places so be careful especially when it's muddy.

it's a lovely walk too, reward yourself with a beer and a pizza at the Straw Hall at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

The Path from the blue and white cottages ( The Sandpits) is known as "The Glen". It is a steep muddy track really, except during dry weather.

Its quite a pretty 10 minute downhill to the Strawberry Beds road. Nice deep stream/ravine beside you.

I wouldnt take a bike on it. Trekking shoes for grip.

Bit of a slog back uphill after a few pints in the Straw Hall !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Great detail in that thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

Great for walk. Photos from COVID time in 2021 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Walked it regularly about 20 years ago when I lived in Carpenters town.

I know they're renovating the Farmleigh bridge but I think a pedestrian bridge at the bottom of the Glen would make a much more usable pedestrian link between Waterstown Park and Phoenix Park using the Glen and then footpaths on towards the gate on Whites road.

I know they're renovating the Farmleigh bridge

Yes, but there is no plan to make it usable for pedestrians. The current work is to prevent it collapsing into the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Walking along the lower road is quite precarious so I can understand why there's no plan to open it but when it was selected as a project for SDCC by a public vote, most voters had envisioned an accessible crossing linking both parks. A basic footbridge aligning with the Glen would be a much more practical solution, otherwise there will be ongoing campaigns to open the Farmleigh bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

My idea to get people across the river is a pedestrian/cycle path attached to the M50 bridge. It would get people from the top of Somerton Road (at Castleknock Hotel) to Palmerston and easily to Liffey Valley Shopping Centre.

https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7731907 (zoom out to see the route)

This shows the route from Castleknock Hotel, east on Porterstown Road, up the M50 service road. At that point it would need a new ped/bike bridge to be attached to the side of the M50 bridge, ending at the existing east-west M50 bridge, which is very close to Liffey Valley Shopping Centre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we were told it formed part of esker riada, used to walk down it to the strawberry hall too many decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Is the path on private property?

It might well be, but it's been a right of way for decades. I remember going down it on a BMX in the late 80s (do not try this at home kids).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I rode my motorbike, up and down the path of The Glen several times in the early 80’s.

My Father did the same back in the 50’s. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've cycled down (fun) but only about 50% (I think) of the way up, and I'm completely unfit. If you were in any shape or had an eMTB you'd make it up. I but it's too short and leads nowhere. Also you meet walkers so you can't go too fast on it. You'd have more fun on the trails in the phoenix park.

Advertisement