Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating map of quiet and safe cycle routes and shortcuts in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Some of those routes that you have mapped out are not suitable for cyclists as they must dismount on pedestrian walkways. You have included pedestrian walkways as cycle routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Yes, some do use footpaths though mostly only for a short distance, dismounting for that portion is safer than using the main roads.

This evening at 8pm I saw someone clocking 73km/h on Carpenterstown Road East (50km/h limit) and a driver run through the zebra crossing in Laurel Lodge while a pedestrian was crossing. This is why I suggest routes that avoid main roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You have most of the ones I know.

Grove road to Blanch maybe.

I always thought if you want to encourage cycling the idea of illustrated cycling routes, Blanch SC to Phoenix Park, Coolmine to Aquatic Centre things like that, might be helpful. Maybe a cycling buddy.

If a junction is too daunting, dismount and walk across then remount.

I've been asked to include cycle tracks to show that it's not all isolated bits in the area. I'll also tweak the colours as they are random and confusing. I might make have different colours for off-road, on-road and on-road protected cycle tracks and then a different one for quiet routes.

I think thats a problem with D15 they don't join up, and often they are isolated from one another.

• Advertisement

The pathway from Roselawn Road to Rushbrook isn't safe for pedestrians if cyclists are using it. The gap is too narrow. I have nearly been knocked down by cyclists on several occasions when walking through there.

Maybe a sign saying to walk sideways so people can pass each other....

I've used it many times. Often there are no pedestrians. When there are some I go very slowly. You've encountered a-holes that are not representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I use the Tolka trail beyond the Castleknock junction all the way to Blanch Connolly Hospital and beyond. I also like the connecting trail from the Castleknock College road down to the Strawberry Beds. There's a small stretch from Clonsilla Stn into Shackelton Gardens but its a dead end for now. Hoping that the Red (now White) Farmleigh bridge will connect Palmerstown Watertown Park to Farmleigh Estate. Maybe you could lobby TDs on this matter. The bridge has been recently renovated. You have a red line trail on the north side of the Farleigh Bridge hinting at a connection to Tower Road. Is it accessible?

Have you marked the south Liffey trail from Islandbridge to Chapellizod? There's a cycle path off this that connects to Con Colbert Road.

Great map btw. It confirms to me the hogging of a lotta land south of the Liffey by Hermitage and golf clubs that ideally would be opened up to pedestrians and cyclists following the Liffey river west from Palmerstown. Likewise the vast Luttrelstown estate . CPO the feckers>

There seems to be non marked Anglo style estates. One is at the top of Knockmarroon Hill opposite the entrance to the Park at Sackville. But it blocks off access to the north bank of the Liffey. Has an old 19th century entrance gate. Similar omission for the estate with a tell tale Anglo stone wall on the north side of the Royal Canal beginning at Ashtown crossing? Two twilight zones?

The thin line above Farmleigh Bridge is not my addition, it is part of the base map. It is not open to the public.

The base map has extra details e.g. Ashton estate is named.

• Advertisement

Well, two more of them when walking in the Millenium Park at lunchtime yesterday, including one who cycled up behind me on a pedestrian path ringing his bell constantly and shouting at me to get out of his way.

Cyclists are no different to drivers, more than their fair share of a-holes.

Were the pedestrians wearing hi-viz though....

A cyclist with a bell....wow.

The bell is a tough one as some pedestrians criticise cyclists for using one and other pedestrians criticise cyclists for not using one. I tend to be on the meek side, maybe give a single ding when I am a good bit back so as not to shock anyone. The one you describe should not have been so aggressive as it only creates lasting animosity.

Every mode of transport has a-holes.

Never underestimate the value of surprise.

It was on a pedestrian only path which made it doubly annoying.

Advertisement