Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs geographically in one county who play/have played in another

Options
  • 14-11-2023 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭

To begin with the most famous examples:

Ballaghaderreen was moved from Mayo to Roscommon in 1898, but the club remained in its original county championship.

Moneygall (Offaly) plays in the Tipp championship, and conversely Carrig-Riverstown (Tipp) do so in Offaly.

Naas hurlers played underage hurling in Kilkenny for a period.

Mullinavat footballers have played club competitions in Carlow.

Graiguecullen (Laois) used to play in the Carlow championship.

Bray Emmets (Wicklow) were Dublin county champions in the 1900s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Think I remember reading before that some of the clubs in Belfast play in Antrim championship even though they are in Co. Down

• Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think there's only one, St Malachys.

I don't think they have any facilities of their own though, I think their catchment area straddles Antrim and Down and I think they just happen to play their games at a council playing field in Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Na Piarsaigh in Limerick has a feeder parish in Clare. Coonagh the home of the Dempseys and Kevin Downes is in Meelick parish ,Co Clare. Na Piarsaigh has roughly 6 if not 7 feeder parishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

From looking at google, it seems that Coonagh itself is in Co. Limerick though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

A very unusual example was Ballygar, Co. Galway.

I believe they always played their football in Galway, but for large chunks of their history played their hurling in Roscommon.

This led to the famous Mattie McDonagh legally playing county minor football for Galway and county minor hurling for Roscommon in the same year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Correct , Coonagh is in Limerick but it hasn't always been .

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

Bray Emmetts are geographically in Dublin.

Since the foundation of the GAA it has.

Coonagh is in the Catholic parish of Parteen Meelick Coonagh though. The Church doesn't respect county boundaries, and the GAA follows the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

• Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's just Limerick City people living in commuter areas that happen to be in Clare. Some Clare folk like Peggy are just bitter that they don't play for the local Clare clubs. But could you blame them, The Casey's now hold the record for most Munsters and All Ireland's won by a Clare man 🤣

Like all the best things in Clare they have Limerick to thank for them.

The only cross border situation I can think of is the Limerick footballers played some league games in Clare because UL's all weather GAA pitch is just across the border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,538 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Newry Shamrocks play in Páirc Esler, and the Down county teams play a lot of games there. Most of Páirc Esler is in Co Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Father Casey's, Abbeyfeale Limerick, their pitch is in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

St. Croans GAA play in Roscommon with people from Ballymoe Co. Galway playing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Carrig & Riverstown play in Offaly. It’s a place in Tipperary. In the past, they tried three separate attempts to join Tipperary. Each attempt was rebuffed by Moneygall’s Séamus Ó Ríaín (who later became GAA president), fearing that Carrig entering Tipperary would be the catalyst for Moneygall being moved back to Offaly. And well, how could you do that to MONEYGALL? Carrig & Riverstown should apply again

Ballyskenagh played in Tipperary for several years up to the 1950s. They were faced with disbandment when the Tipperary Board passed a motion that there could only be one club in any parish. Roscrea said we’re going nowhere. So Ballyskenagh moved to Offaly.

Moneygall played in Offaly in the early days of the GAA. After the 1910 Junior final when Dunkerrin beat Killoughey, Killoughey objected. Board upheld the objection and Moneygall/Dunkerrin said feck this and moved to Tipperary. But Moneygall is a border village that is in both Tipp and Offaly. A decent portion of Moneygall is in Tipperary, like the GAA grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

A few of these examples seem not to be actually clubs competing in different counties to their own, but a refusal to recognise that the county borders changed at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Ferrybank are in Co Kilkenny they play in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Depends on what part of Ferrybank. It's an interesting one, Ferrybank's GAA pitch is literally on the dividing line between Waterford and Kilkenny with most of the pitch within the Waterford border. The dotted line below denotes the border which looks to snake up to capture the field. The Abbey secondary school next door (within the KK border) play in KK/Leinster schools competitions,

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Ballinderry Shamrocks used to play in the Tyrone championship in 1920s. Many of their players are from Tyrone for example Enda Muldoon and Gareth McKinless. In 1995 Muldoon was playing for Derry minors and in the senior final was supporting Tyrone. An interesting fact is that the first Tyrone man to win an All Ireland was Declan Bateson in 1993 for Derry.

The "south Londonderry" club as Wikipedia call it, I remember hearing once that the people who wrote Ulster GAA Wikipedia pages were unionists. It seems to be true as there was an edit war on the Ulster Championship page as it refers to the United Kingdom in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭randd1

They're not.

I kid you not, the county border surrounds their GAA pitch so they can play in Waterford. Technically speaking, one of the goals is in Kilkenny.

Check it out on google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

As far as I'm aware, on wikipedia they have a policy to split the difference and annoy everyone by referring to the city as Derry but the county as Londonderry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 laoismanj

Knock when joined up with Kyle in laois won the county senior hurling final in 1951 in Laois with Ciaran Carey who himself was told he wasnt good enough for the laois team at the time.

Knock are now playing in the mid tipp division whilst kyle remains in laois. Both in the same parish

Advertisement