Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development fees

Options
  • 14-11-2023 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi, I have bought a site in a residential area in which I'd like to build a detached house.

I've read some news about development fees being scrapped from April 2023 to April 2024. What I have not quite understood, is if these development fees are different (or additional) from development levies required to connect new homes with roads, water, and other services.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Post edited by spupazza on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭yurtyaherne

Development contributions are in respect of public infrastructure and facilities benefiting development in the area of the planning authority. You're basically paying a contribution towards infrastructure and other facilities. This might not go directly to works carried out in the immediate area of your proposed build but into a central fund that would benefit the whole county.

These contribution rate varies from local authority to local authority.

The current waiver is for all developments that commence between 25 April 2023 and 24 April 2024. A commencement notice would need to be lodged within this timeframe and construction started to avail of the waiver. The development must also be completed by 31 December 2025.

With it taking 12 weeks minimum to get planning permission (without any hiccups), and a minimum notice period for a commencement notice being submitted is 2 weeks before works can start, you would have to submit a planning application by mid-January at the latest and pray there is no further information request or appeals to ABP to avail of this waiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Leinster D

Hi all,

Thanks for the creating this thread and the info as I am in a similar situation.

I successfully received planning permission from DLRCC to build a small extension to a 3 bed semi detached home and permission was granted in April 2021. We received the date of commencement for October 2023 and we duly started the works already.

DLRCC are stating that as part of the planning permission, development contributions for conditions 7 (Surface Water), 8 (Transportation) and 9 (Community and Parks) are required and the total invoice I received for these contributions is €4,200.

Seeing as these fees will soon be waived, does anyone know if its possible do the council ever waiver ad-hoc cases on an exceptional basis, given the fees are now being scrapped, so this is more of a timing issue.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You started works in October 2023 so whats the issue?

I think DLRCC state it still needed as application date predated this new regulation but open to correction here if anyone knows? We received an invoice anyway for the payment of these fees.

The waiver applies when approved works commence after 25 April 2003 and before 24 April 2024 and is completed before 31 December 2025. I dont see an issue.

• Advertisement

And if you dont believe me and the poster above then see for yourself here

Thank you so much. I will query again with DLRCC because I did initially and they advised the fees still applied. I will take it up with them again. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Is this available to anybody building a one off house or just developers for councils?

Do you mean applicable to anyone building a house? If yes then yes is also the answer.

Hi all,

By way of an update on this topic, I did query it with the county council and it looks like a refurbishment and extension of an existing dwelling falls outside the scope of the Temporary Time-Limited Waiver in respect of Development Contributions.

The guidelines for the Temporary waiver in respect of Development Contribution states that “Residential extensions or the refurbishment of existing vacant/derelict properties are not included in the waiver scheme as the measure is intended to help boost the delivery of new housing supply, address cost and viability issues faced by the construction sector, and incentivise the activation of new housing commencements.”

https://www.gov.ie/en/circular/9b113-circular-pl-082023-temporary-time-limited-waiver-in-respect-of-development-contributions-operational-guidance-for-local-authorities/

Regards,

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 selfbuilder22

Has anyone heard of the waiver being extended beyond 25th April?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,016 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Advertisement