Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi Mesh or ethernet?

Options
  • 14-11-2023 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am in an old house and some of the walls are really thick. My supplier is Virgin and I use tplinks to reach some parts of the house. My office is a the back of the house and I spend endless house resetting and rebooting the wifi on the tp link. The signal keeps dropping in and out and zoom calls are practically impossible. i need zoom for my business so I am frustrated at this stage. I have seen tp Mesh advertised and wonder if there is an advantage to this or should I get an ethernet cable installed. Any suggestions welcome . TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Powerline Ethernet is a possible solution. Uses the power cables to transmit from one socket to another.

I use in my home. I have a wifi 6 router and PC is compatible but found that giga powerline was more consistent

Note, this solution isn't guaranteed as depends on the wiring in the house. But is a less effective alternative to lay down cat6 cable.... As that would require drilling and unsightly issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

House type?

If single storey, run CAT to attic and install AP(s) there. If get PoE switch won't even need power in there.

Other option to run CAT externally from one side of the house to the other, then organise distribution in place.

Advertisement