Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high end gaming PC

Options
  • 13-11-2023 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭

Folks - Looking for some help. I want to get (back) into PC gaming and specifically PCVR 9using Quest 3.

Any recommendations of where to shop online for off the shelf prebuilt ?

I'm not looking to build myself

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Any particular reason for not building yourself? There's plenty on here who'd do it for you, either for free or for a nominal price. If you're going high end, it'd better to ensure your pick of parts for the money involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

honestly, I dont have the time or know enough about what I'm doing.

BUT....if someone wants to take it on and help as a project, I am all ears (in exchange for beer)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Then state your budget and preferred VR system, and others can suggest a build that fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd be interested in the best prebuilt options for Ireland. I'll be purchasing as a business expense (the pc will actually get used for business purposes too) so would like to just write the whole thing up as "desktop pc" and leave it at that. Don't particularly want an exorbitantly expensive GPU down as an individual item I purchased. Also I just have zero interest in building anything myself, would do it if I absolutely had to though.

This was the first option I found but there may be better/cheaper out there.

Honestly, this is my way of purchasing also. one purchase is easier to justify.

In terms of budget - I need some guidance, I know i want as much beef as possible and a 4090 gfx if possible.

• Advertisement

A 4090 is still the guts of €2k, and easily more. The 4080 super is out in January, for a lot less, and almost all the same power.

that is fantastic info, so what would you build a system around it for (costwise) ?

What games and VR system are you targeting though? Any preference between Intel and AMD for CPUs, or Nvidia and AMD for GPUs?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not totally convinced by what I've read about the Quest 3 for PCVR. I have the cheaper Pico 4 (with 4090 equipped PC) and wouldn't consider the Q3 an upgrade. Binocular overlap is better on the Pico. A lot of the coverage is warped by the fact that Pico isn't available in the US.

Once a few necessary options and upgrades are added the Q3 is getting towards BSB/Aero money although neither are wireless and tracking and controller costs need to be factored in.

Really depends on what sort of VR you're expecting to do (seated, active, social, sim racing, flight simming).

There isn't one headset to rule them all.

Half Life Alyx to start and eager to play around with mods for some of the bigger titles such as cyberpunk

• Advertisement

so...should I leave until early next year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Personally I never found much better value in the new year. Unless your waiting for some specific new hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You never told us your overall budget/requirements.

A good mid-tier PC would be about 830 EUR without GPU

or 635 EUR entry-level (worse CPU upgrade path)

There's no major product launches for a long time, so waiting just means you're losing time. If you're worried about waiting the 4080 super in January, you can get a normal 4080 right now, and the difference is only a few percent in performance terms.

Advertisement