Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus to Dublin Ferry Terminal 1 Irish Ferries

Options
  • 13-11-2023 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I might be getting the ferry to Holyhead as a foot passenger soon. Will need to get to the Irish ferries terminal for the 08.05 am sailing.

Is the Nolan bus ferry link reliable and my best bet? Will be getting an early morning bus from kilkenny and looks like I get the bus at 06.55am from Custom House quay- anyone used this regularly? I’ve only ever done it the other way and think it was Morton’s bus then.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

It isn't an improvement on Mortons. It may well turn up, but I would allow enough time to get to the stop, and have some tin for a taxi if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Nolans became the operator around this time two years ago.

I picked it up at the Custom House stop a few months ago heading to Stena Line. Usually a white double decker - keep a sharp lookout and be ready to flag it down as it doesn't always have its route number (853)/destination up. €3 single down to Terminal 1 and can only be paid by card.

Alternatively Dublin Bus route 53 from Talbot St at 07:00. Usually the 53s are reliable and would have you at the port by 07:30 (stops right outside terminal as Nolans do) but very tight if anything were to go amiss as I think the check in closes at 07:35.

Hope the trip goes well.

Yes last time I got it it was Mortons bus. Thanks for all the tips, worse comes to worst can jump in a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

this seems to be the website for the dedicated port shuttlebus services , with timetables

https://nolancoaches.ie/services/ferrylink/

• Advertisement

Great thanks. Pity the luas etc isn’t nearer or more accessible by foot even. Nothing done to promote foot passengers despite all their talk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Does the Nolan Coach take the LEAP card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Unfortunately LeapCard isn't accepted but I think student fares on the TFI Go App are available (but not adult or child fares).

Incidentally the previous service, Morton's, did accept LeapCard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the number of foot passengers is pretty small, not enough to justify extending the Luas another 2km or whatever the distance is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The biggest challenge for me trying to get to Dublin Port as a foot passenger by public transport, especially for the first sailings of the day, is getting to Heuston to catch the shuttle bus in the first place. The first bus from my place in Bray leaves at 6.10 (approx.) so no chance of getting there on time.

If you're only going for a short trip, there's a car park there next door to the terminal, which I've used a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

No idea why you would want to go to Heuston?

On weekdays the first 2 Darts from Bray get to Tara Street in plenty of time to catch the shuttle at Custom House Quay, Saturdays would be very tight though.

You also have the first 84 from Newcastle.

This worked perfectly thanks everyone. Early bus from kilkenny was on time- Just a few words on the Nolan’s bus it was a minute or two early so give plenty of time to get to the stop at the Customs house- there’s no sign or anything at the bus stop either to indicate they stop there but it’s accurate on the TFI live app. Good to know this is an option.

There’s definitely more of an edge shall we say to going foot passenger. Even eavesdropping on a few fellow passengers conversations were interesting and there’s definitely plenty of brushes with the law! A degree of characters certainly travel this way.

Also the buses and ferries only taking card rather than cash I witnessed being an issue 4 times on this trip. In fairness to Stena at Holyhead they agreed to take cash from three ladies so long as they wouldn’t need change back. I thought that was decent and a rare flexibility these days. No way would that happen at an airport.

One guy was done for cigarettes being over the allowance €1200. Also an aul sing song from a traveller lady (see cash only above) that had had a few coming off the boat!!

I really enjoyed it but probably not something for the faint hearted

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Pay the few euro extra for Stena Plus or Club Class on Irish Ferries. Worth it for the peace and complementary drinks.

I did lol. And definitely agree.

Also got a cabin coming back- a godsend with a nice warm shower and lie down after 4 hours plus on trains etc

Post edited by road_high on

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nigra

You're lucky @road_high, the Nolans bus never showed up this morning. The previous time I took it to the ferry terminal about a month ago, it was 10 minutes late.

I was taking the the 5 of us in the family onto the 8.05 Irish ferries sailing this morning and we ended up bailing for a taxi after it was 25 minutes overdue. We just made it into the terminal as the desk was closing. In my (albeit limited) experience, Nolans aren't consistently reliable. Be warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yeah, I've taken the Nolan coach to the terminal a couple of times over the past few months - it was on time once, one time it was 10 minutes early (missed it) and last time it was about 25 minutes late.

Haven't had issues coming back from the terminal at night, except for delays caused by drunk passengers who can't understand what "no cash" means.

The no cash thing happened three times on the bus back in with me too- a lot of their clientele don’t do credit/debit cards!! One guy he took the cash (€3) and a couple others a new found buddy subbed them! A rig morale that went on and on….

Id say it would be simpler if they’d still take cash for the small amount they would take and cause far less agro and delays

Advertisement