Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Next?

Options
  • 13-11-2023 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭

I'm considering upgarding my espresso game, what do I do...

I've been using a Bambino Plus & Sage Smart Grinder... I like light roast espresso's & cappucinos & in fairness, these machines have been great. I may be slightly outgrowing my set-up, but the next step up is pricey... My cappucinos are fantastic, but my espresso's are not where I want them to be...

The milk frother on the Bambino Plus is exceptional & the warm up time is extrememly convenient. Good milk capabilities would be a priority... I want to stay away from another Sage Machine, as they are all too close to what I have & the only machine that would interest me from their range is the Dual Boiler. Whatever I get next has to last many years... Initially I have no interest in mods, so needs to be capable out of the box (so things like the Gaggia Classic are out of consideration), I also want whatever system it is to be a 58mm portafilter and some of the machines I've looked at (for example Lelit) are 57mm. My grail machine would probably be a La Marzocco Micra, but I'll never justify spending that kind of money unless I hit the jackpot...

I just bought a Fellow Opus as a Christmas present for my brother, so I'll see what thats like when I give it to him, but I'll want to step up to a slightly more premium level... Is The Niche Zero still considered good? Is the Fellow Ode 2 worth checking out? What other options should I consider? I don't mind single dose or hopper, I tend to dial in and then rinse/repeat... I don't weigh every shot, or even every batch...

I have to be cost consious, & I'll be purchasing over a couple of months in the new year... I'd appreciate your recommedations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

So, through my extensive research... fluting around on the internet this morning... The 2023 model Gaggia Classic might be worth considering. Whats the general consensus? Does it need a PID? Whats the milk frother like on it?

Thanks everyone for your support... Just to keep you updated, I spent a long time deliberating and while I originally said I had no interest in the Gaggia, I decided to order one anyway... It does seem like a bit of a side step, but at least this machine can grow with me...

Its a 2023 pro evo one, I might do the 9 bar mod, change the baskets for higher quality ones and order a low profile drip tray... I do question my own ability to stay away from any more modifications.

Thanks again for the support and for listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

It is definitely side step. If you bought Gaggia Classic as your first machine then it great choice, otherwise...

Small single boiler. Perfectly fine for brewing espresso ( only if you PID it ( add €200) and 9 bar moded of course) . Steaming power quite weak, probably worth than Bambino ( last one has thermoblock which is not great choice for pure espresso but might beat tiny single boiler in steaming power)

If you want serious step up then Dual Boiler, PID and not Sage obviously. What is your budget?

La Marzocco Micra great machine, but surely you could find something decent for half of it price or less.

Post edited by alec76 on

I'm not moving up to a dual boiler, I can't (don't want to) justify €1500+... my coffee needs are not that high. I can see myself doing the 9 bar mod immediately and the PID once I get used to the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Gaggia Classic used to have ~130 ml boiler. I wonder if they upgraded to something bigger. You might get disappointed of Gaggia Classic in terms of steaming power compare to Bambino Plus, especially if cappuccinos more important than pure espresso. I would stay with Bambino unless you are ready for bigger step up.

If you want to get great universal Grinder ( filter - to- espresso) then Niche Zero probably hard to beat .

If you interested only in espresso then you could go with Eureka

https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/en/Eureka-Mignon-Zero-230V/m-5695.aspx

same burrs as Specialta , but single doze and no LCD screen.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Advertisement
Advertisement