Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request of Doctors Letter

Options
  • 12-11-2023 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

If one has a medical condition, does the employer have a right to ask the employee for a letter from his/her doctor stating said medical condition?

For example, if one is diagnosed with cancer (terminal or not) , does the employer have any right at all to request a letter from the employee's medical professional?

In Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭rock22

no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

No, even if they did the Drs letter can be very vague. ....X is currently under my care, X is unfit for work etc.

They can ask you to attend the company dr though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Your employer is not entitled to confidential medical information. However, if you are likely to be absent multiple times or for extended periods, then it may be in your best interest to provide some information related to the absences, it doesn’t have to be detailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭dennyk

Your employer can request confirmation from your medical provider of your need for sick leave and your fitness to return to duty if you are absent from work due to your medical condition, or confirmation of your need for accommodations if you are requesting reasonable accommodations for a disability. That documentation doesn't have to disclose your diagnosis, treatment, or any other personal medical details to your employer, however, and your employer has no right to demand those details. Using your example, if you were requesting an accommodation of time off at certain dates and times for cancer treatments, your documentation from your health care provider would just need to confirm that you require X hours off Y days a week to attend medical appointments; it doesn't need to disclose the nature of those appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The above is correct in general. If an employer is asking for diagnosis details, it's worth thinking about what they are really asking - typically they want to know the likely time you will be out for, and if you will need accommodation to come back. (Yes, some are just nosy - but that's usually face to face, not wanted on paper).

However there are some illnesses which are incompatible with some jobs. One example is jobs that may require working in chaotic high stress environments with flashing lights. If you develop one of those illnesses, then the occupational health doctors know what they are required to disclose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

The employer does have the right to ask you to bee examined by a company doctor as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think its a good thing to give your boss something in relation to your illness.

It allows them to plan accordingly and help you.

For example I have diabetic complications from time to time. My boss knows about this and is very flexible with me,

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

This - in my experience, you see the human side of even the worst most hard-nosed manager when you suffer illness or a family members illness/bereavement/etc.

The worst thing would be to keep them in the dark. There is a person in my office on sick-leave at the moment but I don't know what is wrong with him, but my manager does I'm fairly sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It depends on your boss though. Some bosses are trustworthy and provide flexibility. Some bosses are untrustworthy, gossipy, and will use information in evidence against you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement