Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse - Showtime - Emma Stone

Options
  • 11-11-2023 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭

Just started and wll air weekly.

Enjoyed the first episode

The Curse centers on Whitney and Asher Siegel, a newlywed couple struggling to bring their vision for eco-conscious housing to the small community of Española, New Mexico. But, their efforts are complicated when an eccentrically flawed reality TV producer, Dougie, sees opportunity in their story. As the series unfolds, the couple find themselves caught in a mysterious web of ethical and moral gray zones – all while trying to keep their relationship afloat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is really so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 24,504 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

On Paramount and ya it's very good. A great parody of a certain type of absorbed, repressed, middle class gobshtes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A strange, oddly compelling example of the 'television of discomfort'. Takes its time to get where it needs to go, is full of odd little tangents, and is often excruciating to watch (some of Fielder's scenes have made me shudder with unease). But it feels like a strong harmony between Fielder's school of absurdist cringe satire and the Safdie school of slow-burn tension-building. Great to see Emma Stone also using her movie stardom to such ends - she's a very capable comedian (that jumper scene 😓) and, between this and The Favourite / Poor Things, is clearly unafraid to 'go weird'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Anyone still watching.

That last episode... Nathan putting in the work!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had heard the last episode was wild before watching, but if you’d given me a thousand guesses I probably wouldn’t have come close to guessing how it played out.

Obviously a big a swing as any show has taken in its final moments, but I think a successful one: it stays true to the show’s eccentric mix of dread, cringe comedy and character humiliation. It’s even oddly poignant in its bizarre conclusion:

a curse finally being fulfilled, a shaky marriage disintegrated, a woman finally rid of the man she doesn’t love, and that one lonely man falling upwards into an abyss on what should have been the happiest day of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,504 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I definitely enjoyed it.

The set piece in the house was some fine physical acting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

The whole thing was like watching a car crash, couldn't take my eyes away. So uncomfortable.

I got a seven day trial for Paramount+ to watch it. Very handy.

That ending was so bizarre yet fitting in its own way.

A very unusual bit of telly.

Advertisement