Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trim 10 mile.

Options
  • 10-11-2023 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Sold out in a few hours! Probably got one of the last spots as a few minutes later they had a sold out notice on Facebook.

Anyone else sign up?

Have never ran it before but heard good things about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'll be the first to post a request looking for a spare ticket 😁 So appreciate a DM if anyone does.

I don't generally race over 5k but do run the Trim 10 mile as it's a local race. Can't give a comparison for it to similar races but it's a decent relatively flat course.

The first 3-4 miles can be pretty quick (so don't get carried away here) before it gets tougher. A combination of a long drag on mile 5 with an incline before turning back towards Trim on mile 6 which is usually into the prevailing breeze for the next couple of miles. Plenty of groups to work with usually due to the numbers which also makes it a great race.

Post edited by Dubh Geannain on

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Trim always sells out quick. its crazy.

speaking of 10 milers. what ever happened to the mullingar 10 mile? it wasn't on last year and had been a regular fixture in July.

Bump. Time to start begging for spare entries.

I know dozens of people running this so somebody surely won't make the start line 😅. Wouldn't mind a guaranteed entry though if anyone has one. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Guerilla Dub

I have a ticket available for transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dissq1

@Dubh Geannain in fairness requested a transfer late last year and again this week so it should go to you first. But you already have one I would love this. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Guerilla Dub

Hi Pm sent.

Bit late checking back in here. I'm not panicked that I won't get one and will start asking locally next week. I've no doubt I'll pick one up. Enjoy the race dissq1.

I think there were 4-500 non starters last year.

So I didn't wait until next week 😂 and got sorted so best of best of luck to whoever's running. Hopefully the weather plays ball on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Redhands

Hi

I have an entry available for transfer, please DM . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Number available to transfer, I'm in South Dublin if that helps with pickup etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 WicksSmith

I'm heading up to run this on Sunday. Not familiar with Trim at all. Where is the best place to park so as I'll be able make a quick getaway afterwards?

It depends on the direction you're intending to head off to after. The finish line is in the Business park so there will be no road closures around the town side of the business park once the start of the race passes. The designated parking areas are the OPW (20 minute walk from the finish line), the long term car park beside Lidl (5 minute walk from the finish line). The closest one at Lidl will obviously fill up fast enough pre-race but if you're there early enough it's your best bet to get away quickly after. On street parking in the town is free on Sundays too but you'll find it more relaxing probably parking along with other runners.

There's another designated (smallest) car park which is right up beside the start line at Fresh Today that will be the first to fill. I'm not 100% sure how much spaces will be there as they're talking of using part of a closed down business for space so there may be slightly more there than normal.

Thanks Dubh Geannain

I should point out, that I'm not referring to the Lidl car park which is not for runners. The commuter car park is right beside it though and where I'd recommend parking if you're early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Some fierce wind in Trim today. Enjoyed it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

First time I've run this race. Really enjoyed it. Benefited from going out slow and picking up the pace at halfway.

Terry's Chocolate Orange segments at the finish. Lovely!

But that wind on the finish straight. I had been warned, but still caught me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭patob

Always an enjoyable event on nice country roads, big shout out to the 90 min Pacers who were fantastic with their advice and encouragement. Stuck in with them until last 2 miles when I was able to push on.

Pity they no longer have afters in the parish hall for post race get together chat with tea and a few sambos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Great event, superbly organised by the club and pop-up races.

I thought I'd cracked the code for the first 4 miles, felt amazing and was taking a mental note of what I ate the night before and morning of.

Then I turned a corner at mile 5, blasted by the wind and soul crushed by the hill. Felt it was a combination of wind and undulating hills from there on in.

Struggled but kept the effort high which was pleasing.

In hindsight I should have ran with the pacers and got some protection.

Wind was pretty intense alright, was happy enough in the end with my time. Enjoyed it, will be back next year.

After being a bit ill it was touch and go whether I'd run. But after marshalling for an hour and a half beforehand it was hard not to get caught up in the excitement. Went into the middle of the starters intending to do a good steady effort. Slowly worked my way through the field throughout the race. It was nice to run with no pressure and I got to see and encourage a lot of people I wouldn't normally see. Thankfully I didn't feel any bite at all this year until the home straight. That blast in the face was enough to assure me I'd still put in a pretty hard effort in the end as I struggled over the finish like everyone else.

• Advertisement

Thanks to @Guerilla Dub for the entry. Really enjoyed the race. It was my first time running Trim. Great organisation and a really friendly atmosphere. Really nice course but my God the wind 🤣 though I didn't think that was a Trim thing because the whole of Leinster was windy on Sunday. At 5 miles I turned the corner to the only hill on the course with the wind howling down it - felt like running on a treadmill I wasn't getting anywhere! Settled well though after that and the run was strong to the end. My watch measured short - I had only 15.46km no idea why, was everyone else OK? It was frustrating because I was happy with my time but don't know if I can believe it now! Probably a 'my watch' issue. Overall a great event will definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Sounds like thats definitely a watch issue. I had 16.17km on mine which is about what I'd expect, looking at Strava from those I knew running and they were all in around the same. The course was definitely accurate.

I didn't see anyone measuring short. If you click on your result on popup races you will at least get the time when 1. you crossed the start line 2. the halfway point and 3. the finish along with your estimated pace through the first and second half based off that.

Thanks @FinnC and @Dubh Geannain, appreciate the response. Didn't realise you could look in such detail at the times and good to know everyone else measuring accurately. I've looked more closely at the watch data and it looks like it lost GPS a few times which was the culprit. Even happier with the time now!

Advertisement