Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period following verbal conf of passing probation, but no written conf received

Options
  • 10-11-2023 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

I received verbal confirmation from my boss that I've passed by six months' probation period in my current role, as of two days ago (so Ive been at the company six months and two days). My employment contract provided to me upon commencement of my role stipulates that one week's notice of resignation needs to be given during the probation period, and one month after that.

I've been offered a new role by another company, but given that I haven't received formal written confirmation that I've passed my probation and the contractual changes applicable due to this status change: should I be providing one week, or one month notice given these circumstances?

I know providing the longer notice would be the kindest thing for my existing employer, but I haven't had a good experience at this company and would sooner have the chance to finish up as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

No. But you could ask

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Many companies don't give a written notice of probation being passed. If your contract says your probation is 6 months then it's 6 months unless you hear to the contrary (and that would be in writing).

Giving the months notice is in your contract but in reality what will they do? They could sue you but who'd bother. The worst that would probably happen is that you burn them as a reference. Might not do your reputation any good too (Ireland is small workwise) so up to you to see if it's worth it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dubl1n6F3male

Thanks so much for your response!

I’ve been told the HR manager will provide me with formal written confirmation but I’ve not received it yet: does that mean I’m still going by the terms stipulated for notice period within probation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Augme

By the sounds of it your current contract states that your notice period is one month once you've passed your 6 months probation period. You've passed your probation period so therefore your notice period is one month.

You could always chance your arm and try ans give one weeks notice and see what they say. Most companies don't want to keep someone around for long once they've handed in their notice.

Advertisement