Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland looking to put poles in land

Options
  • 09-11-2023 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,

NBI were on to me about putting new poles in our land (around 7 or 8 poles).

Has anyone here had them contact you ? Is there any compensation for farmers for erecting fixed structures like this?

I don't want to stand in the way of infrastructure build out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭148multi

In hedge rows, across fields, where in your fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

That's a strange unusual one.send them round be the ditch.

Traditionally wouldn't be as tasty as the esb when it comes to erecting poles. Doubt that has changed & will be in a big hurry, so I wouldn't want them across a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭eire23

Had them here. Their going in the hedge rows. If you don't make like hard for them he said they will work with you and put them where they aren't in the way. If people are akward he said they will just put them where ever is handiest for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The hedgecutter will be delighted. Those poles are of no addition to your land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Aravo

Why can't they go down the side of the roads where they are going. NBI are having issues in some places as depending on speed of road and near bends the poles need to be set back a particular distance from side of road. They have to get agreenent from councils on pole locations and this is proving difficult. So by going on private land they avoid the council issues. Maybe this connection is for yourself so they can put the pressure on for going through your land. In my mind NBI don't have the same rights as ESB putting in poles on private land. See NBI 's FAQ section on web. It mentions poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭listermint

But they'll power the future of your farm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 international xl

tell them put it in a duct poles and stays are for third world infrastructure look at wind farms at the start there were overhead there now all ducted and remember this is private infrastructure not public imagine you were trying to put some on one of there assets.

Yeah that's a solution clap clap.

It's public money and it's for the public use. That's homes and farms across rural Ireland. Get a grip will you.

how. A line across his field that he'll have to be aware of, drive around poles with machinery. Animals using them as scratching posts and puddling up the land around them.

• Advertisement

Not once did I say to put them across the field. Not once.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 international xl

its public money in a private company its not like the private public partnership in education system where most of the schools become department assets in 25years after opening. Ducting would not be stopping homes and farms getting broadband all housing estates have the telecom under the footpaths

Ya I didn't comment on that was commenting on the sentiment that he gets nothing out of it.

You haven't a clue about the program or rural Ireland.

Thanks for link to FAQ.

https://nbi.ie/faqs/

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I'd be weary of letting them in, they aren't dangerous but in the future laws might change that will put huge fines on damaging the fiber network infra structure. Huge fines are inplace in the US and GB for damaging them, so who knows what might happen in the future and hitting a pole in a field with a tractor isn't unheard of

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭eire23

I have my own hedgecutter, I think I'll manage to go around one pole. Its not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

We hear all this shite about how good our broadband will be with fibre to the home ,well i installed it 12 months ago and it worked a treat for 6 or 7 months bit with the last few months its gone downhill fast another paddy joke if you ask me ,what sort of fibre are they using if the signal is failing that quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭older by the day

I was young and dumb and loyal to the country. Wind turbines went up a mile from me and a few people objected and got money. I said I supported them as they would supply energy for the future.

The energy crowds made a packet the last four years and have robbed this country blind. The most expensive electricity in Europe.

Don't let them put any fuuucking pole in your field because once they are out the gap they won't give a shitte about you. Put them up on the ditch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭emaherx

It's not shite

I've fiber to the home hear the past few years and speeds are perfect, it honestly sounds like you have a fault, which can happen in any system.

If you are not getting near advertised speeds report the issue and follow up on it till they sort it.

Sorry, I thought you referenced 7 or 8 poles in your opening post

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They follow the existing phone lines both above and below ground, why would they need to go a different route?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

The ESB uses private contractors as well. The Customer Supply customers are mostly private.

Ducting is staggeringly expensive and means a right of way and easement has to be made over the duct with no development over it.

We aren't talking about housing estates, rural one off housing including farmers are those that benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭TheClubMan

I don't know what the story is with compensation but I have worked for a contractor working on behalf of NBI before. As far as I'm aware, it's completely up to you where the poles will be positioned if you agree to them being erected. Whether that be through the middle of the field, around the boundary etc. Or as already mentioned, if you don't want poles, you can agree to duct being laid with access chambers every 100m or so instead. If you don't allow them access at all, which you are well entitled to, an engineer in an office will be getting paid to think of an alternative solution to get from point A to point B, bypassing your land.

How many properties will the poles be serving? Can you see an alternative route yourself? Is there a public road or private lane way that they can be erected along instead?

Going to work with NBI to place poles where we want them. We were lucky to get fibre broadband to our home a few years ago and do not want to stand in the way of others doing the same. It allowed some people to work from home from a small village which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭massey 265

Well done.Fibre broadband can be a gamechanger in rural areas and i agree with your sentiments totally.

The opportunities it opens up for families to live in rural areas can not be understated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Good loser

Overstated

Advertisement