Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a big deep Bordeaux for around €20?

Options
  • 08-11-2023 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Can anyone recommend a big deep Bordeaux for around €20?

Preferably one that's easy to find or order from the likes of O'Brien's or the supermarkets

Thanks in advance,

MtM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Any takers - is my budget too low?

Not much of an expert on French reds. Was hoping that the knowledgeable folks on here would have some suggestions.

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

Not a wine expert by any standards but if you are looking for a big punchy red Bordeaux (Cabernet Sauvignon led) there isn't much at €20 but when you get to €30+ the selection is getting better. Saying that, this is drinkable by my low standards https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/chateau-blaignan.

There are lots of very good Merlot led softer reds below €20. Recommend asking the person behind the counter on the day for what is their recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Thanks mikewest - that Château Blaignan looks interesting all right. I might give it a try.

Any other suggestions?

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/chateau-fourcas-hosten-2012 haven't had this in a while and a bit above your budget but the first one that came to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

You get much better value buying a Spanish red say Cune GRAN Reserva at 15 euro in Dunnes currently.

Bordeaux is overpriced under 50 euro I know I used to work there!

If you're looking to impress someone then I'd go to O'Briens and ask them to recommend something their staff are very knowledgeable and don't try to just sell you the most expensive thing.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This Bordeaux is on offer for €13 in Supervalu, reduced from €17.

Chateau Lacombe Cadiot 2020

https://shop.supervalu.ie/sm/pickup/rsid/309/product/chateau-lacombe-cadiot-75-cl-id-1404173000

Getting good reviews in the media eg Examiner and online below at Frankly Wines.

Some info:

This 2020 is made of 60% Merlot*, 30% Cabernet-Sauvignon and 10% Petit Verdot from 15 hectares of vines. That’s quite a high proportion of Cabernet Sauvignon for an AOC Bordeaux / Supérieur, partly due to the vineyards’ location and partly because 2020 was an excellent vintage in Bordeaux – the third in a row in fact – which is when Cab Sauv tends to shine. 

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You wont get a really good one for 20 or under.

Id recommend looking at something from the Rhone area. Chateauneuf du pape, Cotes du Rhone Villages, Crozes Hermitage, Rasteau, Gigondas, Vacqeuyras etc. Aldi have some good ones under 20.

Advertisement