Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham November Meeting

Options
  • 08-11-2023 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Heading over next weekend, first time. Any particularly good spots in the town for food or a few pints? What's best way of getting to track from town? Any other bits of advice welcome..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Anyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I was over for the Showcase meeting a couple of weeks ago and stayed in the Holiday Inn which is a 20 minute stroll to the course so no problem getting there by foot. There's buses from the course to the town centre and vice versa if you like but no idea where you get them from in the town.

For drinks and food, I would suggest the Brewery Quarter, you've plenty choices for all types. I'd recommend the Brewhouse, nice beers and food and good service to boot with no loud music.

As for the racecourse, pints in plastic glasses is a no. I did a tour before racing where you get into the weighing room and such like which was not that bad which you can book as part of your entry ticket. As the cross country is on next weekend, you might get out into that course too.

Go to the shopping village just to see the guy wearing the full fur coat. Prices are eye watering at some of the stands. Plenty food stands and bring some sterling with you as the tap and go wasn't working in one place for me and they asked to see the transaction on my bank app. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Thanks for replying 🙂

We're staying in a place just across the road from the holiday Inn, got it on booking.com. Brewery Quarter is about 150 yds I think,was looking at it online. Seems to be like a shopping centre full of pubs n restaurants.

If it dry walking is an option I suppose. We have club enclosure tickets so hopefully that's worth it...

Never been before and always said I'd rather this meeting than the festival...Can't wait 😁😁

I think the quarter has a few shops, a cinema and a gym but mainly food and drink places such as Brewdog, Five Guys to Nandos. I was Club too and it was fine, not mobbed apart from the indoor bars which I avoided apart from 10 minutes when I swore I'd never go in there again. I couldn't see myself ever going to the Festival but there was 20,000 on the Saturday I was there and the queues were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ollin

Been a few years since I was there and used to stay in Montpellier area. Would recommend Zizzi's and Voojan restaurants for bite to eat. BeeHive and Rotunda decent pubs, your typical modern bars around that area too if that's your thing. Where you are staying has plenty of choice. We always had a few in the St George's Vault. Shamrock down the road too. As previous poster said, the brewery quarter can cover all angles but no harm taking a stroll to other parts. Bus to the races go from high St (Close to Boots). It's probably a half an hour walk if the weather is OK. Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The whole experience Cheltenham has changed greatly over the last 20 years , the Main Festival in March is grossly over priced be it Entrance Fees, Drink Prices or in particular Accomadation prices which are totally riding people , signs on a lot of regular Irish visitors are not going anymore , The november meeting is heading that way too so the Showcase meeting , the Christmas meet or the Cheltenham Trials day in January are probably best value to attend a Cheltenham meeting .

Many of the great meeting place pubs like The Dawn Run, The Irish Oak are long closed but Cheltenham itself has some lovely parks and nice areas, Cheltenham be a good value weekend away when no racing on as accomadation for festival as hotel prices are 4 or 5 times a standard week in Cheltenham, the Bus to the Course leaves from WH Smiths on High Street which is a very good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

There is a bus from train station to track £5. Or, you can walk the 20mins to track, depends where you are staying. Am going this year, lots of bars will be busy on the fri/sat before racing...lots of food options at the track, no cash accepted at track(only bookies)

Some did have to accept cash on the Friday I was there as there was an issue with the broadband for about an hour so do have sterling (see my post from 11/11/).

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

fair enough...most people will have cash & card anyways...looking forward to it..weather meant to be nice on FRi & ok on the Sat

Advertisement