Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding person in Ancestry tree

Options
  • 08-11-2023 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

My GGF (b.1843) appears in 28 trees on Ancestry. I have accessed several of these, and found a few 2nd cousins & other info. However, in some of the trees in which he is included, I have tried for hours without success to find how my GGF is related to the main family line of the owner of the tree.

There must be some way to do this in Ancy, but I can't figure it out. If I click the "View in Tree" button, I just get 3 or 4 generations of my GGF family, but none of the owner's family. Vice versa if I click on "home person" button. Presumably some of GGF's children or g.chiln married some of the owners family, but how do I find this, without searching through all 2000 names in the tree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I’m not sure that the function exists. Two reasons for not finding a link – a bad copy/paste might not have transferred the link. Also, it's possible that he is not linked in the tree to the main line. In one of my trees I have a line that I know is related (same surname, same locality, repetition in of family Christian names and historic references to that branch being 'cousins'). Born in 1846 I have his line  on my main tree page, it is visible but it is unlinked to my line  because I won’t connect him without proof..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Probably in a floating branch as Mick says. Easiest thing is to ask the tree owner.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Don't forget to click on the spouse/partner of the home person as there is often a full separate tree there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭Deeec

I recently found my GGM in 15 trees on ancestry. Several of the trees had my GGM down as dying in America - she didnt though, infact she never left Ireland. It seems some people ( usually americans )doing their tree just find a person the same birth name as their ancestor and include them in their tree without actually doing any confirmation or verification work at all. It turned out only 5 of these trees were actually correct. Sadly probably the majority of the trees you found are incorrect but its worth asking the owner for clarity.

Advertisement