Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registering UK car that's already in Ireland

Options
  • 08-11-2023 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi

I recently (few months ago) purchased a 1992 citroen XM off a guy in Cork. It is still on uk plates, and I have the logbook with the previous owner's signature already on it. I am told it belonged to somebody with a NI address at some point, but can't verify that. The date beside the signature is 2020 (when the guy in Cork bought it). The address on the logbook is in England itself.

From my understanding, when the car is to be registered in Ireland, the office wants proof of customs (because brexit) or proof that the car was in NI before brexit. I have neither, and from my understanding the only way I could get a customs declaration would be to get the car out of Ireland, re-enter via a port and declare it to customs then.

Any ideas on how I should go about this? I could trailer it in and out of the country to get the customs declaration (the car is in a bit of a state, so the value and the duty would be low enough), but that's a lot of hassle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

This is a bit of a dodgy question as car should be registered immediately on entry.

I am not sure it can be discussed here but some people have found work arounds for issues like this. I suggest a trawl on Google and get your facts and receipts straight before approaching vrt. You really should not buy a car like this as it's messy and risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Since the car is already in Ireland simply get a customs agent to guide you through. No idea why you want to bring the car out of the country and then bring it in again!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 DRedford

I was under the impression the only place you can get the customs declaration is at a point of entry (so, the port), otherwise you'd get hit with the penalties for late declaration.

I know, this is a rare car so I jumped on the oppurtunity. I might be able to get old MOT receipts from when it spent time in NI. Failing that, I think the most "proper" option would be to sell/sign over ther car to a friend in the UK, take it out of the country, bring it back in and do it "properly". I'd like to do it properly, I don't want to have issues with sketchy paperwork later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I still think you need to go and see a customs agent, tell him you bought the car in Cork and let him sort it out. That's what I would do before I started shipping cars backwards and forwards.

Advertisement