Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy binoculars ?

Options
  • 07-11-2023 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my farther a pair of binoculars for his birthday. I have no idea what kind of cost they are, could I get a decent pair for 200 or so? Any recommendations in Dublin /Meath/Kildare of a shop or what to look out for when buying a pair? I may bring him with me when looking

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I'm biased because I work for BirdWatch Ireland, but the BirdWatch Ireland shop in north Wicklow is worth a look: https://birdwatchireland.ie/product-category/optics/

Both Opticron and Hawke are very good mid-range brands. (I use Opticron)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Agree with the above, you cannot go wrong with either...trying to keep it simple, bear in mind the following:

1. 8x or 10x magnification are the most popular options for nature observation. 10x gives you a little bit more magnification, but the compromise is that it is a little bit more dificult to keep them steady (highlighting this as you mentioned they are for your father, and that may be a consideration). Also, they gather a little bit less light, but I would not worry about that if they are for casual observation

2. x42 (lens diameter) is the most popular size. x32 is also becoming popular. They are a bit lighter (and gather a bit less light). If lightweight is important, get an x32.

My very first pair (before birding) was an 8x25 which I used to take everywhere with me (trips, etc) and I loved it. x25 means you can just throw them in the bag as they are small and light...that is an option if you believe your father may want to take them with him at all times...I still have an (upgraded) 8x25 that I have even taken to trips when I could not take my 8x42s, and even though the performance is not the same, they do just fine.

I hope my attempt to clarify did not add confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Shoog

Avoid the tiny overhead prism types, they tend to have very low light gathering and massive fringing unless absolutely perfectly positioned.

If time is no issue eBay is a good place to look. I got an Opticron scope for €200 off eBay and it's excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we bought a pair of opticron bins from BWI about ten years ago, very happy with them.

not sure if it's still possible, but we were able to call to the office in kilcoole and handle multiple pairs - there may not be many places which allow comparison shopping like that.

Advertisement