Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer/Pint Glass Collecting

Options
  • 07-11-2023 7:55pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right lads anyone else mad like I am and collect branded beer/cider etc. glasses? I don't steal them and have mostly built up my collection from charity shop finds, brewery tours and sound bar men who let me keep a glass (if you ask nicely, some will actually give you a clean glass I've found!).

I'm documenting my collection online on my website: https://nicksbeerglasses.com/ . A common enough hobby I've observed from a few facebook groups I've joined. My modest collection of around 240 unique glasses at this time pales in comparison to some I've seen!

Anyone on here collect glassware?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

Impressive…. I used collect beer mats years ago! That’s when busy pubs existed!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Have a few beer mats alright but not really interested. Would be a much easier thing to collect though, pint glasses take up a lot of space 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

I can imagine ….

The ash trays were another I had a few of!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I also collect beer glasses. Couldn't say how many as I pick them up on a regular bases from charity shops and pass them on to a mate with a shebeen.

I'd be surprised if we had less than 200.

I'm regularly in the UK and ironically one of the best place I found to buy them is a little charity shop in a small town in Cornwall, you might need to think about this one but it is a Salvation Army charity shop ;-)

Last buy was a very nice half yard from the aforementioned Salvation Army charity shop - £1!

Two memorable glasses would be Leute

and Kwak

Don't really have many Cider glasses as we don't really collect those, do have a few decent steins.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I have the Kwak as well! Strange glass but interesting. Was only in Cornwall earlier this year but didn't have any luck in charity shops funnily enough, but was further down south. Falmouth charity shops had none anyway, that was the only big town I hit!

Did the St Austell brewery tour and picked up a good few of their glasses. Cornwall is a lovely spot and a few friendly bar staff gifted glasses!

• Advertisement

I'll take a look at your collection and see if I find any you don't have? I tend to leave more than I buy now as we have so many. Its older ones in particular from old breweries or brews that don't exist anymore that I really look out for. In fact if its pub related and cheap enough I'll pick up almost anything including old branded ashtrays. Branded water jugs for Whiskey is another I occasionally come across.

That would be great! 😊 I'll have all my glasses on the website so it will be easy to see what I have/don't have.

I try to get photos done on a Sunday if I get new glasses that week. It does take time though to prepare the photos then upload them to the site. Particularly for new breweries and brands. It will keep me busy anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

@yoyo thats cool! great collection. My favourite glass which i drink a lot from at the moment is the La Chouffe glass you have. I'd be heartbroken if i broke it (though i do have a spare)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Have a good few myself. But we are talking maybe 30, a far cry from what you have. Again mine mostly came from gift boxes / off license promos but a couple may possibly have been liberated from drinking emporiums @ closing hour when I was famed if I was going to leave a good drink behind me 🤣

better ones I have though are the few I got from my grandad. I’ll try snap a few pics over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't collect glasses, as such but I do have quite a few that get used.

I have an old Watney's Red barrel tankard that's used as a bedside water glass.

Gueze Boon glasses are used daily, mostly for water. Broke one the other day 😕

I have a few Duvel and Orval glasses.

I have some schneiderweiss glasses put away somewhere, too.

A few other random glasses, too

• Advertisement

You can get the Belgian glasses easily enough online if you don't mind paying the exorbitant shipping. It is a nice glass alright! (The Belgian glasses really are in a league of their own..). I had a few Chouffe many years ago on a trip to Bruges (beautiful place).

I did buy a few online but you really need to do bulk orders to lessen the impact somewhat. This site have them for a fiver:

30 quid shipping mind you, but for a bulk buy it might be worthwhile!

A favorite of mine would be the oversized "pint to line" dimpled pint pots (mug)

In fact always prefer any "pint to line" glass over any other when drinking pints really not fond of brim full pint glasses.

Edit> The dimpled glasses are difficult for collecting as the logos tend to wear off or get damaged much quicker than smooth sided glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,153 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I wouldn't say I actively collect them but between a few I still have in my mother's house and a press in our own kitchen I probably have 40/50 glasses (including 2 of the Kwak glasses and the Leute one above), quite a few would be from various Hard Rock Cafés / Planet Hollywood etc. The undoubted stars of my collection would be a set of 4 fluted gold-rimmed Tuborg glasses that were my grandfathers' (so pre-1960) and a tall Pilsner Urquell glass from the same era.

Starting to develop something of a collection of whiskey glasses too as I keep getting them as gifts, the best of which would be a set of decorated globes like those Don Draper used in Madmen which Mrs Sleepy got from an American lady who's late husband had actually used them during his time working on Madison Avenue.

I have a few Glencairn whisky glasses including a couple from my parent's house. the older glencairs were quite thick and much heavier than the newer version. i'm confident i could through an old glencairn out the window on to the lawn from upstairs and it wouldn't break

Quite a few of the German tankards are like that. A off license in Kilkenny last weekend gave me this as a freebie (50cl to the line):

https://nicksbeerglasses.com/glass/weihenstephan/weihenstephan-2023-tankard-glass

got this within the last year in a box set along with 4 bottles of different chouffe

sitting on one of my JD record style coasters

Aye got mine from the box sets too!

It’s a good size glass for what seems to be the new standard size can of 440ml

it came with 330ml bottles which were a bit lost in it

got it in local off licence. Was able to look up there on what’s app cause I sent the missus to buy it 😂🤣 it was in March this year

• Advertisement

Few others. I think I used the Guinness glass too much, lettering nearly all worn off. Shame, it was my Grandad’s, it sure how old it could be. The Phoenix possibly just as old but I never drank outta that one

And a couple of bonus balls 😂

I’ve loads of other glasses, mostly more recent and more popular

Advertisement