If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Legal information needed - Sueing a parent after the age of 18 for compensation after abandonment

  • 07-11-2023 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

    Hi there,

    I have a query, i'm really hoping someone will be able to give me a little more information on.

    My dear friend is now 28 years old. Her parents were married for about 4 years, when her father took off with another women and abandoned his wife and 2 small children, my friend was about 7 months old when he left, and her sister was almost 4 years.

    After he left my friends mother was only about 21 years old and raise the girls completely by herself, working sometimes up to 4 jobs to keep things afloat.

    Anyway, her mother has still not received a settled divorce, as she has never looked for it. She now (26 yrs later) wants to Marry her fiancé, she is not seeking nay compensation. However my friend is wonder if she may be entitled to anything - even a small amount.

    They have been in contact with 'his' family and understand is now living locally. His Family have commented on the fact he has alot of assets aswell as being very financially comfortable, also stating that he keeps alot in his girlfriends name, however that is just hearsay surely.

    Is there any specific civil laws which can be sought for this claim?


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

    When you say that your friend wonders if she may be entitled to anything, do you mean:

    your friend wonders if your friend may be entitled to anything?


    your friend wonders if your friend's mother may be entitled to anything?

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

    The best move here is for the friend's mother to instruct a family law solicitor that she may be well and properly advised as to her rights and her obligations before proceeding to contract a second marriage.