Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation/condensation on celling advice.

Options
  • 07-11-2023 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't sure where to post this.

We recently had a plumber doing work in the attic. What ever happened some of the insulation got wet and it had to be cut out.

The attic seems dry however we have sort of drops appearing on the ceiling in the living room.

We've been advised just to get some attic insulation and cover up the patch where the plumber ripped out the insulation because this is causing the water/condensation.

Should this resolve our issue?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, if it's a limited to being a condensation issue then yes, you have excess moisture condensing on the ceiling and forming drops... and refitting good insulation over this spot will eliminate most of that condensation alright. Except from what you're describing it would seem excessive to have drops forming at a point like that - which would indicate to me that you either have another issues going on (such as a leak at that point) or that your overall relative humidity in the house is way too high. What room in the house is this happening in, kitchen or bathroom? If so then you that might be expected after a shower or cooking, but if it's in a bedroom or living room it would indicate that you need to ventilate better.

Any photo of these drops and of the area above the ceiling?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's the living room. We've never had this problem before.

I've checked the attic and another family member has and we can't identify any leaks and the plumber said the same.

I've mainly taken videos unforently.

It's the living room and we've had a new stove and vent fitted in the room. However the issue arose before the stove was lit.

I'm just hoping a bit of insulation will fix the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Insulate it, but bear in mind what I said as it's an indication of excessive humidity. Another indication would be condensation on windows in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks, It's an older house windows/insulation needs to be upgraded.

Thankfully I put insulation in the attic and it seems to have done the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's good, but insulation and new windows won't improve humidity. It's possible that you have condensation elsewhere, somewhere you can't see it.

Ventilation is the solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement