Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sigmoid HQ

Options
  • 07-11-2023 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried this place out yet? Would love to hear opinions. It only opened in the last week or so. Looks like a great setup and prices seem quite reasonable especially for small groups. I think it's the only place of its kind in the country right now. I know there were a couple of other similar establishments in Dublin that have since closed. This also seems to offer a lot more services than the previous indoor golf places.  

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

really good timing with the start of the tiger woods & rory led simulator comps in the US.

I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Looks great, but IMHO its over priced, essentially a euro every minute your in there. Unless they lower their prices and\ or introduce off-peak pricing I cant see anybody using them on a continuous basis. There are a lot of outdoor ranges nowadays with Top Tracer etc that are considerably cheaper, and although they obviously wont give you as much data as a trackman its still good enough for the majority of players. Any decent Golf Pro will have a trackman or GC Quad, if you want additional data you could pay nearly the same amount for a lesson and get all your data at the same time.

2hours for 4ball on a sim @ €30 each on a Friday evening for a bit of craic seems okay to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

There's one in Galway too - different company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Price looks fine to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭REFLINE1

I see the fitter that was in Stackstown has moved over to this place.

https://sigmoidhq.com/club-fitting/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Just like buses, you wait ages for one and then 2 come along at once. There is a new place called Pitch Golf opening in Dublin city. It’s a London based company. Again, looks like a lovely setup, but with beer as an added bonus.

Anyone been to Sigmoid yet?

Mods: could you please change the thread title to Indoor Golf?

I booked an hour at Sigmoid myself last Saturday to check it out.

The sim and space is excellent. By yourself it's an expensive practice session, but with others it looks like great craic. Seeing spin numbers on clubs was new information I'd never seen before and was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Good way to do some gap testing. I'm assuming you can use your own balls so could get relatively realistic data (allowing for the fact there is no wind and its off mats)

• Advertisement

Yes, when I was hitting on the "practice range" option to start, there was a club selection facility on the computer on the bay where you're hitting where you can select the club you're hitting too. These are recorded within the trackman app, and now that you've mentioned this I just went back into the app on my phone too see the results of that practice range session on the day. I've screenshotted a few bits and pieces there below, but it's very impressive now that I'm looking at it.

(Having a bit of a wow moment here actually) You can actually go into individual shots and see every piece of data that trackman captures on each measurable. I've never really known my clubhead speed, spin with driver, wedges, irons, attack angle all that carry on, and it's all there now. It's pretty fascinating stuff for the data nerds to be able to go over that after the fact when you've gone home!

edit: I was planning to use my own balls, but when you get there they give you a small bag which has some balls (Pro V's) in it, so I just used them.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It looks like an improved version of what you get at the TopTracer ranges. I get all of that at my local range but I don't get ball spin or club speed.

Is that because Trackman is better than TopTracer or is it because only the sims can accurately measure spin & club speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It's because these indoor simulators are using a higher spec of equipment. I've been to both Trackman and Toptracer ranges and they're pretty much identical on what data feedback you get back. They vary slightly on the courses you can chose and stuff like that etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah, the versions they have at the driving range is basically the "Lite" version of the full software, which is considerably cheaper I'd imagine

On the ranges that i've used there is a new "camera" system that tracks ball flight. It estimates ball speed and a few other variables such as distance based on ball trajectory and flight. It doesn't have a notion about spin ball characteristics or club face, path or any detailed information about the strike.

The full trackman system uses way more accurate Doppler technology to track significantly more variables. For example at sigmoid, if you look behind you you'll notice the orange box setup directly behind you which gathers all the ball and club face data when you hit. This gives you a way more accurate result.

Even if for me this data is still viewed on the same mobile app.

Going back to previous session on the range with the more basic system, it shows ballspeed, launch angle, height, carry etc about 8 variables in full. But looking a shot recorded on the full trackman system it records significantly more data, I count 22 different fields of data. Way more club face data and more technical measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Sorbet

@RoadRunner Having tried it out, considering cost, interested would you go again? Looks pricey when compared to the range with “basic” trackman….

yes, I'd go with friends, definitely. I think it's a different and fun way to play winter golf.

I'd also go by myself again if I was working on something, trying to gauge distances or struggling on something and needed lessons. I particularly respond better to a data point that shows, for example, in-to-out swing path with a closed face or something. Without trackman, someone can tell me I'm doing something wrong, then I can try change it, but I don't "see" the change, no can I measure it. But if I'm 4° in-to-out and I try to change and then it's showing 2° in-to-out. That's progress, but it also shows me the degree number that I need to change by. Golf lessons without trackman involves opinions and trust. With trackman, well that's simply just science in my view!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm not convinced that in a simulator is all that important for learning your distances. There's nothing better to learn your distances in perfect conditions, but you'll hardly hit a shot on a golf course that isn't affected by wind and elevation in particular. It's more important that you're able to work out what club you need given the conditions than in benign conditions. For example;

I bet you could easily find two people on a par 3, one who hits a 7 iron 150 yards, the other 160. The hole is playing uphill and downwind and the same club could be perfect for both of them. It really doesn't matter how far you think you hit the ball in perfect conditions if you're arriving at the right club based on the actual shot you have to play.

What I would love information on when practicing though is swing path. I tend to hit down on my driver, up on my irons and out to in on everything. You can tell a lot by ball flight and divots (particularly a divot on a driver), but I bet a lot of shots that feel perfect to me are far from it.

These simulators look great fun though, I'd love it if they'd take off. They'd be a great alternative to a pool table for a couple of drinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I hear you but once you know your own yardages in benign, perfect conditions than it's a lot easier to go up a club or down a club depending on wind, gradient, temperature etc etc. What I'm saying I suppose is that you have to start somewhere and I'd prefer to know than not know how far I hit each iron in "lab conditions" so that decisions on club selection out on the course are based on actual data

I went on Saturday. It's expensive for yourself but really good to see the data, particularly on path and face angle for me. You'd gain most from it if you have an understanding of your swing and your tendencies - I've gotten quite a few lessons in the past so know what I'm looking for as I've had it explained to me by the pro. Smash factor is another one to see if you're hitting it off the centre of the face. If you had 2 or 3 people it's a great way to spend an hour/ hour and a half. It's a nice place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Sigmoid HQ

Check out our membership options for those individual practice sessions! www.sigmoidhq.com/membership

Hope to see you soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

Theres one in the K club also its €40 an hour if you just use the range feature which I found more interesting than playing courses. I have been to Sigmoid once with a friend and found it great although it is a bit expensive to use it on your own although as mentioned already I'd have no problem doing it as a once off for a gap test and plan too once my swing improves a bit definitively before season starts.

Advertisement