Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Band - with a Trad/Trad Rock flair?

Options
  • 07-11-2023 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a wedding for October Next year. Have checked out the various website where you put in your details and a load of bands end you their availability. They would a be great, but having gone through dozens that emailed me. None stood out. Some were very good, but all a bit same old showband style. It's just not what I'm after, and was hoping for something a bit different.

I've described it about as a band with a bit of a trad/Trad Rock. Not sure if that's clear, I'm not looking for a typical Irish traditional band (more a day two thing). But looking for a band what maybe has trad element to their sound. For example, many bands have an option to add sax/brass for a jazz aspect to come songs. I's be more interest in adding fiddle, again not aul wan wailing session, but more of a rock violin. Or I've heard it used really well for dance song covers.

I think looking at songs that feature violin as the lead rhythm helps highlight the sound I've looking for (Viva la Vida, Thunderstruck, Elenor Rigby, Bitter Sweet Symphony). Still very much the mainstream hits, perhaps not the standard wedding playlist. More standard stuff will feature too, but I think the above would be good every few songs. Doesn't even have to be violin, I'm juat using that as an example that's common used in that Trad Rock.

One example that I expect will be suggested is Flog the Dog. These guys seem great, use a fiddle as backing in a few songs, do an Irish Dance mega-mix etc. They're booked on the day. Some more along those lines suit be great. As an example, here they are covering Shipping up to Boston. Any suggestions similar to them would be helpful.

Advertisement