Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€400 to spend

Options
  • 06-11-2023 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Phone died so need to replace with a new one.

Last 3 phones have been mid-range Motorola. Alright phones, not bad, not brilliant.

Will be used for Android Auto, YouTube, web browsing. Had problems before with android auto connectivity and car dealer said stick with mainstream phone makes rather than cheaper, newer Chinese makes. Don't know how true that is. Probably down to car rather than specific phones.

Would like:

Min 8gb ram, 12 if I can get it

Good/very good processor

Good battery life

Gorilla 5

Good OS version updates

Online seller but easy to return under warranty (reading some problems returning electronics to Amazon recently)

Not important:

Camera

Large storage

Gaming

Speakers (use headphones or car)

Could do with some recommendations. I am a complete dummy with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Would anyone throw up a suggestion for a ~€400 phone that I could check out? Doesn't need to have the specs above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I would wait for Black Friday deals. Been looking myself at mid range phones.

OnePlus Nord 3 - Oneplus website

Samsung A54 - Amazon.de

Sony 10 V - Amazon UK

Then the chinese models which may not have as much support

Poco F5 or F5 Pro - Amazon UK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Shoog

We have always had great success with the xiomia phones. They are now readily available in shops such as Harvey Norman at about the same price as direct import. You get about half as much again as you would with the mainstream brands and battery life is great. They are fairly swish and bulletproof.

I find mine works well with my car Bluetooth radio, but never got much joy with Android Auto on my camper but it's a Chinese head unit and connectivity has alway been difficult without some automation. Problem seems to be the xiomia likes to sleep background task agressively. I prefer to use hotspotting of the Redmi and use the native features of the Head unit. I have it set so that when the phone sees a Bluetooth probe it automatically activated the hotspot.

I was checking out the OnePlus Nord and some xiaomi models and they look good but I'm iffy about them after reading about built-in spyware. Would have to discount xiaomi too if there's a chance of android auto issues. Will check out the Samsung and Sony.

I pulled a Moto G8 out of a drawer that I'm using in the meantime but it's old and slow.

Just read a comment on HUKD, saying the Poco X5 Pro had Android Auto issues. (No idea if widespread)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭rhinosaurious

I have always used Android. Too old and weary now to change! :)

Samsung A34 is ~286 Euro on Amazon UK at the minute

256GB Model

Would you have a link?

Don't think it can be returned to Amazon if there's problem. An Post and lithium batteries.

• Advertisement

Have you a Samsung yourself?

Some reviews say.there's bloatware and Samsung replace some stock android apps with their own.

Still using a Pixel 3aXL

Samsung have their own apps, some of them useful and some not.

Some of them can be ADB removed / hidden from what i understand

Write a little review if you have the time. If it connects to Auto without issues and the general feel of the phone. Would help others i am sure

Phone is sitting in UPS Castle Donnington warehouse since 10/11. I think Amazon will cancel now, without explanation as usual.

If I stick with the A34 Currys have it, but I might go for something else. The car has wireless charging that I've never used having never had wireless charging phone. Will look into them as a possible option. Can they usually have wired charging as well as wireless or just wireless on it's own?

Looks like a €400 budget is not very realistic.

Post edited by Heighway61 on

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

Google Pixel 7a down to €449, getting great reviews.

Spent 45 minutes on the phone to UPS today. Beautiful experience. Looks like the A34 might be on the way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I don't mean to hijack the thread but does anyone have an opinion on the Samsung A14 as a replacement?

Not looking for anything spectacular, just mid range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Bought an A54 on Saturday in independent phone shop for €399 Sim free.

Same phone in Tesco was €539 and Harvey Norman €507 as well as Currys.

Love it as I had an A12 which had great battery life but poor processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^

Just on this. I've found Amazon UK to not be that great price wise for some phones (esp Xiaomi) and I'm dubious of buying via a 3rd party there. No issues with fulfilled and supplied by Amazon though. However at times there are some better deals on Amazon DE, ES, IT over the UK pricing - again I'd only buy if fulfilled and supplied by Amazon.

I've used belsimpel.nl and their Irish website gomibo.ie - check pricing as sometimes it's slightly better on belsimpel for some reason even though both apply Irish VAT. Just need a Euro to UK plug adaptor if the phone comes with a charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Have a look here. There's a 5G version which looks to be the better bet - faster chipset I'd imagine based on the cores speed and nm CPU spacing - (smaller nm is generally better as a rough guide).

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=12151&idPhone2=12004

Advertisement