Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring a backup onto an android mobile

Options
  • 06-11-2023 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

My phone can't be repaired economically so will be getting a new one. I backed it up to google a couple of weeks before it failed. If I do a restore to the new phone how close will I get to the old phone in terms of apps and data, layout etc?

It's a Motorola and when I got it to replace a previous Motorola it had a feature where I could join the phones with a USB cable and it copied the old phone to the new phone during setup. It was pretty much an exact copy. I'm wondering if I should get a Motorola again because of this feature?

If the google restore was good enough I wouldn't have to limit myself to a Motorola replacement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

The new phone is coming on Thursday so I'll see them how good the restore is. I'm guessing contacts, text messages etc will be fine. Hopefully apps, data and files will be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭con747

It should be the same layout as the last backup had it for just about everything and any saved files and photo's backed up should be there. I'm not sure about the likes of WhatsApp messages unless you have them auto backing up in the app and maybe other messaging apps might be the same if not on auto backup. I have used many different makes of phones and every time the layout was the same as the previous one up to the last time it was backed up to google.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Well that was a load off... Useless.

I selected everything when doing the backup of the old phone to google drive and then restore everything to new phone during new Samsung phone setup.Practically nothing restored. A few apps, missing most, no files, messages, accounts, logins, browser bookmarks, history, phone contacts. Basically nothing.

Trying again and it's taking me to Samsung cloud. Can't see an option for Google drive.

Edit ok, have contacts and messages at least.

Arrgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not sure it's applicable here, but I found Huawei PhoneClone to be good - unless you're paranoid about Huawei. 😮

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement