Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of my job, want to learn a trade

Options
  • 06-11-2023 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I work a professional job, trained for 4 years in university, decently paid. However lately I've just become tired of it. I don't feel that useful, and so I was thinking I want to change industry completely.

I don't know what I'd like to do. I was thinking to chance my arm at working with a handyman or maybe builder for starters in order to get an idea of what trade I want to focus on. I don't want to go on my own at the start because I don't have enough manual skills/knowhow to be decent at doing varied handyman or trade jobs.

I feel that doing a job that's more manual/laborious is also better for my health overall as I'll be more active.

I'm based in south Dublin. Are there any particular type of businesses or recommendations I should contact that I could get a start at doing weekend work? I know weekend work might be more difficult to source as company's like these tend to work Mon - Friday? I don't want to leave my job yet as i don't know if a trade will scratch my itch of wanting to do a job that's I feel is more useful.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Work and Jobs as the thread probably is more suited to here.

Local charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think you might be better off trying to figure out why you're tired of your job.

Could you discuss with your manager if there's opportunities to move elsewhere or go on secondment.

You need to figure out if it's a work or a "you" problem.

What you want to avoid is leaving this job, doing 2 yrs apprentice as an electrician, getting bored there, moving to 2 years as a plumber etc.

It might be no harm booking an appointment with a careers advisor, that carry out tests on aptitude etc.

Don't fall into the "grass is greener" mindset

• Registered Users Posts: 2 proworkerh

To give more context, I always had a longing to do some type of trade because I liked the thought of being active and learning useful skills but my parents wouldn't listen and basically forced me into a degree to get an office job. I just feel this type of work is not me despite being perfectly capable and deliver everything asked.

I'm not going to make sudden decisions, and perhaps won't change careers at all, just seeking input

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Ginger83

What about a part time thing like tiling?

Good tilers are hard to find and from the few I've found seem to be paid well

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A trade is all well and good until the recession comes and you are left sitting at home and if self employed entitled to sweet feck all despite paying as much tax as the next man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,691 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do a woodworking course or suclike. Try small scale craftwork as a hobby for a while. Do a budget for living on an apprentice's wage for a four years. Then come back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭koifish

Definitely try some evening and weekend courses to get a taste for the craft or trade and see what you enjoy. You might find you just need an outlet or hobby/craft outside of work and that alone will help you feel more motivated and driven personally. (plus things like woodwork, metalwork, sculptures etc. could be sold at exhibitions and fairs so you could still maintain a stable job whilst pursuing and benefiting from a passion)

Trades are demanding and tough work and it's hard to know what state your health and fitness will be at in the next 10, 20, 30 years. Start gradually and experiment, good luck.

Advertisement