Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor for home office

Options
  • 06-11-2023 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for a 27inch monitor for a home office for work. Primarily software development. I may at some point later at a second monitor of the same size.

Some requirements - VESA in case I mount both at a later date.

I have a wireless mouse and keyboard and also have a webcam and am wondering which is better, a dock to connect everything too or a monitor with all built in and supports daisy chaining for a second monitor. Such a monitor would be more expensive but eliminates the need to buy a dock and cleaner desk. Basically I just want to plug my laptop into a USB C port and away I go.

Any advice/recommendations for the above would be great. Also any good docks if applicable.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

with "supports daisy chaining" you need to ensure it supports your laptop power demand. Most provide up to 65W and if laptop need more then you will have to charge with power lead.

Time will tell about "cleaner desk" - all your peripherals would be plugged into monitor now and from behind it or through some hub/USB extension for ease of access, interconnection between monitors also require leads, whether they come out from dock or another monitor.

In my case with dock - laptop is under the desk and i have just dock under mounted x3 27' setup, with proper keyboard and mouse, USB at the reach of hand, no climbing behind the screen, even i do have USB ports there. The rest of desk is a mess, but this is nothing to do with computer setup :D

However, i do like the idea, might be really suitable for some users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭victor8600

A dock is a more standard solution, so I personally went with that. The laptop connects to the USB-C cable from the dock, both the dock and the laptop sit on a shelf under the table. 2 monitors connect to the dock. Wireless keyboard + mouse. All equipment is Dell, except for the keyboard and mouse that are Logitech.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

This one has a built in dock, and delivers 90w over the USB-C Connection: https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/p/accessories-and-software/monitors/office/62a9gat1uk

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

I have a pair of LG27UL850-W (3840x2160@60Hz) on a VESA100 stand, hooked up via USB-C PD to a laptop that sits behind the monitors and comes out only as I travel. I think the LG27UP85NP is the successor model. Wireless keyboard + mouse too (the brilliant Logitech MX Keys + MX Anywhere 3S combo), to keep the desk cable free. Good enough for software dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

Thanks. And what dock do you have and does it work well? I had a Belkin one in a previous job and it was flaky enough for some of the USB peripherals and ethernet. Worked fine for connecting laptop to Dock via USB-C and and to two monitors (one HDMI, one DisplayPort).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

This sounds like a nice solution. I presume you have both monitors connected via a DisplayPort cable? Is your USB receivers or peripherals connected to the first monitor? I presume that would be the setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

The work laptop connects to USB-C / Thunderbolt on both monitors. Accessories (webcam, mic) connect via USB-A to both monitors. The laptop also gets power from whichever monitor takes over as the power delivery host at the time. My Windows PC connects via Display port to both as well. Mouse and keyboard both use Bluetooh, and connect to the laptop or PC as needed (the MX combo supports up-to three devices at once).

If I wanted, I could hook up a two more devices via HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Advertisement