Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotten wood in porch

Options
  • 05-11-2023 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hello

A small hole has been created by rotting wood in my porch. Looking for some advice on how to repair and if it is a self repair job?

Have seen foam filler suggested elsewhere but would prefer to fix it for a longer term if possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi!

I was going to say that it looks like it's water ingress from the joint where the horizontal bottom section of wood and the vertical side of the frame is letting water into the joint, but I don't see any expansion/contraction cracks in the paint above that rot, so it's instead making me think that it's possibly wet rot from damp in the ground. Was the frame repainted recently?

I'd do two things:

1. Inspect the corner between the frame and the glass very carefully for any cracks or gaps. The water could possibly be pooling on the horizontal ledge and then flowing into the joint.
    2. Lift out that slab just in front of the rotten part and inspect the area - see if there is further rotten wood under that affected beam and whether you can see the DPM layer which should be protecting that joint from rising moisture (note I didn't call it rising damp :) ).

If it's a crack at the corner of the window then seal it well using an externally rated window silicon, pushing it well into the joint and around the edge of the glass too.

If the section around/under that slab is wet or showing signs that the moisture is coming upwards, then you'll need to carry out some remedial action to prevent that moisture from causing more damage. How that's done all depends on what you find below.

To fix the hole you'll need a wood filler but only when it's fully dry - not going to be easy to do this Winter - and the cause has been identified and eliminated. The wood should have any soft/rotten parts removed and then the solid parts be treated with a preservative to kill off any remaining spores of rot. Then use a good quality external wood filler, building it up over some time and then let it cure, then prime and paint.

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭shellycub

Hi,

thanks for the reply, very detailed and practical. Nearly afraid to lift the slab now in case of what I might find!

Can you give me any idea of what we might have to do if the issue is under there and if it is doable by ourselves?

Thanks!

I'm hoping that you find concrete blocks and a plastic DPC layer... if not you might find a piece of wood which is wicking water into the window... but I'm not sure what to add here until we see it. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

tbh it looks to me like its just sitting on the blocks?!

I'm hoping that's an illusion and it's on blockwork...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Looks a mess.

OP can you pls post a picture of the whole porch, front and side, showing any gutters, oriented the right way

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement