Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER upgrade grants

Options
  • 05-11-2023 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Looking at purchasing a C2 home and renovating it. What’s grants should I be looking out for to improve the BER rating?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The only ones that are going to apply to a new home owner are the SEAI ones. Many are useless particularly on a C2 - its going to have attic insulation already for instance; and the SEAI grant for that is so poor and the pricing so high you'd be better off doing it yourself.

Plausible upgrades on a C2 would be wall insulation - external or cavity pumping; and solar of both types. There is a vague chance you'd still qualify for the heating controls grant; and a tiny chance that going to a heat pump makes sense.

None of these grants are going to give you anything for free - you'll be paying thousands to qualify for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭Shoog

We are doing just this at the moment, the only grant I will be looking for will be solar, but to get the solar the house needs to be at B2 already.

The things we are doing are

Internal lining with 100mm backed plasterboard.

Install MHRV.

New triple glazing.

Increase attic insulation from 150mm to 300mm.

Attic hatch sealing

We may also get blown in Wall insulation as it's relatively cheap and will address some of the cold bridging.

We will be going over the place with tape for air tightness.

We will also replace an open fire place with an in room wood pellet stove.

There is no practical option for floor insulation which would be a great help.

The only grant which seems worth applying for is the blown in and the solar, but we have to have a new BER before we can apply for the solar.

I will do a lot of the work myself as getting contractors is prohibitively expensive and very difficult. All work is to be photographed as it's done as proof and all receipts will be associated with the new address.

External insulation would not be justified given the stupid prices currently been charged and the likely payback time.

We were told by our BER assessor that solar thermal makes very little difference to the BER.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

The only time you need a pre works BER is if you are applying for a heat pump grant so it is incorrect to say that the house has to be a B2.

This was what I was told by someone who had solar PV installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Crowley87

When you say tiny chance we would qualify for a heat pump grant is that because the BER is not good enough? What do you have to be at to qualify for the grant?

what benefit is the heating controls? Just gives you zones in the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Crowley87

When you say tiny chance we would qualify for a heat pump grant is that because the BER is not good enough? What do you have to be at to qualify for the grant?

what benefit is the heating controls? Just gives you zones in the house?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll qualify but it may be money down the drain, most older houses would not benefit in terms of running costs.

Heating controls is for zoning, you'll also usually get a smart thermostat as part of it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

RE this

All work is to be photographed as it's done as proof and all receipts will be associated with the new address.

You will also need to keep the tech spec for all the materials used: thickness and Lambda value asa minimum.

Biker1: IYO will this self certification fly in a post-works BER? which is why I presume he is going to the documenting effort

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Our BER assessor told us to do it this way. Basically they can only give credit for what they can see or default to building regs at time of build. If you have evidence for what you did they cannot refuse to accept it.

With regard to MVHR I think this will be a grey area because in order for it to pass building regs it needs to be commissioned and certified by a registered installer.

• Advertisement

If you have evidence for what you did they cannot refuse to accept it.

No that simple as the assessor has the final call on evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

they had a requirement a number of years ago for.mimimum ber before solar grant to encourage people to do other measures first but they removed this about two years ago

Advertisement