Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sage Bambino Plus or alternatives

Options
  • 04-11-2023 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

we already have a bean to cup auto machine, but thinking about getting a "beginners" manual machine

don't want to spend too much, so keeping an eye on upcoming black friday deals, adverts etc

bambino plus is what i'm thinking, but are there alternatives i should consider?

edit : already have a baratz encore grinder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

have never owned one but the rancilio silvia is a popular recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

that's a bit too expensive, but thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

I would look at used machine. Rancilio Silvia or Gaggia Classic are build like tanks , last for ages and plenty spare parts , simple and very easy to repair.

Sage only cheap Chinese made plastic thing, not repairable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You'll buy a Gaggia Classic for the price of the sage, I believe. That's the route I'd go.

silvia too expensive, does that comment still apply to the 2023 Gaggia Classic range?

Post edited by ablelocks on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Gaggia Classic Evo Pro definitely looks good. Hard to find any specs on them though. Biggest difference between Classic and Silvia was the boiler size 150 ml vs 300 ml ( or something like this ).

Size always matters. Bigger boiler equals better temperature stability through the shot and more power when steaming the milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

As a Bambino Plus owner I'll give my 2c.

I'd rate it as only OK. The plus points are that it does look good, it's got a small footprint, is ready to go almost instantly, and has a very capable automatic milk steamer.

The bad points are that it's just messy. You really have to keep on top of emptying the tiny drip tray (by the time the little red float bobs up, it's already at the point where it'll probably make a mess from there to the sink) but regardless it always manages to leak water under the machine - especially when running the cleaning cycle. As to the cleaning cycle, it alerts you after a certain number of shots that it wants cleaned and this CAN'T be cancelled to do at a more convenient time (the similar descaling nag by contrast can be postponed). Finally, try as I might I have never managed to get anything even remotely drinkable from "third wave" beans (I've flushed many euros worth of coffee down the sink trying). I believe this is mainly down to the brew temp not being changeable (I think these lighter roasts need a higher temperature), so you really need to stick with darker Italian style roasts (even here, consistency isn't the greatest)

So my advice would be avoid and hold out for one of the others suggested if at all possible.

(To add a bit of balance - I also have the Sage Smart Grinder Pro and think it's great)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Great summary. I've had mine around 3 years now and everything you say matches my own experience with the bambino +.

Will likely upgrade sometime this year !

i got a bambino plus and smart grinder pro for really good price on adverts, so that will get us started and keep us going for a while

we've started saving for a rancilio silvia if/when we outgrow the sage

thanks for the advice

Advertisement