Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback from unsuccessful Interview?

Options
  • 04-11-2023 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Just curious has anyone that requested feedback after an unsuccessful interview ever received anything? I’ve had 3 interviews for roles this year and was unsuccessful. I had requested feedback after finding out the outcome but never received anything.

I thought that if you asked for feedback you were entitled to get it. But maybe I am wrong! What’s other people’s experience like here?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Employers would be very foolish to provide you with feedback you could possibly use later in a legal action, so even if you were to receive anything from an employer it is doubtful if it would be anything of substance.

If you believe there is something wrong with your interview techniques then you'd be well advised to do some mock interviews with a professional or some business people experienced in recruiting staff. Also, record these interviews, you can learn a lot from looking at your performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Internal roles - yes, you should always get it.

External - rarely. If lucky you might get some info via phonecall but as said above, they won’t want to commit themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I did get a basic sheet of feedback after an interview for a HSE management role. I didn't get the job but I was on the panel for three years.

If I were hiring at my current company, I would not be allowed to provide any feedback. HR would simply issue the standard "we regret you were not successful on this occasion" via the job portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

Thank you all for the above! I thought if you asked for feedback you are entitled to it. Looks like that’s not the case! Cheers for replying!!

No and on top of that most companies have a policy in place to destroy all such data once the process has completed in line with the GDPR requirements not to hold unnecessary data on people.

If you are getting regular interviews, then you can conclude that you are targeting the right employers and jobs, plus you do have the right qualifications experience and an attractive resume, but are letting yourself down in the interview process. In such a situation you probably would benefit from a course or some coaching in the subject.

• Advertisement

Yeah agree that my CV and experience are good! However one thing I do struggle with is my hearing at times and I have a feeling that this can make me look a bit dopey having to get the interviewer to repeat themselves or rephrase the question!

They say it shouldn’t be a disadvantage…. Unfortunately in this day and age it is! Hence why I was hoping to get some feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Augme

Have you declared you have a hearing impairment during the application process?

No. I’m not sure what they could do as a loop system doesn’t work for the hearing aids I have!

At the very least they'd understand the rational as to why you are bit slow yo respond or why you need them to ask you to repeat. As it is, and as you said, chances are they just think you're a bit dim.

You are probably right! I’ll be honest, I am a bit embarrassed about bringing it up but going forward I think this is something I will take on board!

I think to an element, and also as I was not always hard of hearing, I feel it would damage my pride! 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,879 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The first time you need the interviewer to repeat a question just say "I've a slight hearing issue can you repeat the question please" would be sufficient for most interviews.

People get older and stuff stops working its normal. No one takes issues when people take out reading glasses when they didn’t need them before. Hearing is the same as it gets worse with age

No need to feel embarrassed. Every company who conduct interviews will be well used to dealing with requests for reasonable accommodations. They'll details on how to request reasonable as part of the candidate application pack so I'd definitely recommend notifying them via the stated process the next time you go for an interview.

I understand what you mean about damaging your pride, but failing interviews repeatedly won't help your pride either. Most people will encounter health challenges at some stage in their career, best to be honest and up front about them to give yourself the best chance to progress your career.

If you are not declaring this, then you are disadvantaging yourself and any feedback you got might have distorted in any case if the interviewers were not aware of that.

Depending upon the job, so long as it does not represent safety threat to you or others, it should not be an issue for most people. And in any case if these people are not willing to work with you on this, then it probably would not be a good fitting job for your.

Thanks you all. Some very useful feedback to take on board! Cheers.

Lots of people have hearing issues, including younger people. Unless the disability is totally incompatible with the job, it needs to be accommodated. Eg, if the job you were going for was Music Teacher, it might be a direct factor in not getting the job, but I think if you declare it. I’m not in the market for a job, but I have MS and an ileostomy, and these are things I would be declaring to make sure the work environment would be suitable for me as much as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭I am me123

I once asked for feedback from an unsuccessful interview. Got absolute radio silence from the company.

Advertisement