Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insure 2 cars temporary, when buying new car

Options
  • 03-11-2023 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Looking at buying a new car and looking at insurance.

There is option to transfer insurance but doesn't appear to be option to add car temporarily.

Surely it's fairly common to buy a new car and still have old one for few weeks while selling it.

I don't want to take cars off insurance as will need to be able to drive both. Its not feasible to keep transferring insurance between them.

Anyone any advice on how others manage this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Axa gave me a couple of weeks third party only cover on my old car when I bought a new car a few years back. I think they're reluctant to offer fully comp. on an old car, probably in case you bring a prospective buyer for a test drive and they manage to damage your car.

Ask your insurer for a quote for the new car and while you're doing that, ask if they're prepared to continue cover on the old car for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you can park one off road and not drive it that may work. Beware the third party driving other vehicles as typically there is a clause other vehicle cannot be owned by you.

All these rules vary by insurer or policy so best to talk to insurer.

All these rules vary by insurer or policy so best to talk to insurer.

'Talk to insurer' means a phone chat with a call agent. Who may or may not know what they're talking about. You're asking for trouble if you think a call agent is authorised or competent to provide advice on what is and is not covered under your policy.

The proper thing to do is to read the policy document.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭salad17

I just did this actually, with FBD. I kept my old car on my insurance for 1 week and it cost me €85 (or something) euro. Initially I had said 2 weeks, which would have been €120.

All just third party, never bothered with fully comp.

It's kinda pricey, seeing as there's no increased risk to them, you're not going to be driving both cars at the same time, but insurance companies do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

you're not going to be driving both cars at the same time

Do you have either open driving or named drivers?

• Advertisement

It's kinda pricey, seeing as there's no increased risk to them, you're not going to be driving both cars at the same time, but insurance companies do what they want.

I think insurers are wary of one person insuring two cars. Or a household where there are more cars than drivers. Because the suspicion would be that the surplus car will be on permanent loan to a friend who has a full licence but cannot get or afford insurance in their own name because they have a poor claims record.

Advertisement