Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow or Dublin Hikes/Walks

Options
  • 03-11-2023 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

Looking for ideas of walks that are about an hour or even two, well enough mapped out (like on paths/trials etc or popular so can ask people if needed or less chance going wrong in general) not too far from Dublin (in Blanch so beside M50)

I had a bit of nightmare yesterday and attempted to use alltrails to do what I thought was a loop around the great sugar loaf (mostly user error). But I take a lot of pictures/videos so would rather keep phone/battery for that than navigation

I have done

·        Attempt Great sugar load, then Glen of the Downs Nature Trail into some of Bellevue Woods by mistake (well asked someone who told me go right of The Octagon)

·        Cruagh Wood

·        Hellfire club

·        Tibradeen cairn

·        Carrickgollogan Forest

·        Little Sugar Loaf

·        A bit around Glendalough (but find it too long of a drive)

·        The whole of howth cliffs (from sutton mortello tower around)

·        Bray head twice and love to do greystones walk but its closed and not chancing jumping over stuff as has been said

Thanks for any and all ideas, I am bored of cycling and have the bug for walking hiking, especially as I have said for getting pictures/videos 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As you don't want to travel far, try parts of the Dublin Mountain Way.

I use OutdoorActive to navigate, find it excellent, plenty of walks on that, bring a battery charger with you for phone.

If you don't want to use an app, try the maps from this company. Learn to use a compass with a map and it will help you.

Another option is to join a local hillwalking course in the New Year, a few of them available around Dublin. I see you are in Blanch, think there is one in Hartstown Community School but I could be wrong.

This is the loop you tried to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks for the detailed reply

Funny I was part of the start of a youth hiking club with the place in the village years ago. Short story it never took off

That's why I wanted to stick to places like say curagh woods, hellfire etc, your on a path and by and large can't go wrong (or worse case take the path with less views)

I had the sugar loaf on my right and took a path too the right of a post that had sugar loaf way to the left. I met two lads coming up the path with app, map , compass the works but didn't know the area. I went right basically into a mini river (thought path was flooded) , but should have kept going down towards the GAA pitch looking at mini sugar loaf (hindsight is a great thing)

I have done it with the Sugar Loaf on the left, easier to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Try climbing lugnaqilla. You can start it from glenmalure. It would be one of the more challenging hikes in wicklow. Make sure you have good hiking boots if you do attempt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Would be too difficult for someone starting out and on their own.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Crone Woods has a couple of loops in it, and you can push up onto Maulin to extend it out to a 90 min or so walk. In the summertime you'll need to get out early as the car park can get very busy. Usual plenty of people around without being too busy on the trails and a coffee van in the carpark as well.

Great views of Powerscourt waterfall in some parts also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭con___manx1

It's not mount everest but probly be safer to climb any mountain with somebody incase something happens

Looks good thanks for the idea

I remember going on a hike in school or scouts and you could see down into the waterfall so this might be it

I like the sound of a coffee van as well, need something too wash down the protein etc bars

A recent thing that might interest others

https://visitwicklow.ie/heritage-hiking-wicklow/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Protein bars no good to you on a hike, you'll need carbs. Protein bars when you get home maybe.

I always thought was good, use to use them or the balls for cycling (all be it not much cycling)

Ive started to take nature valley etc bars as I think the whole protein bar etc is like eating powder no matter what spin they put on it

Not for energy, you'll get most benefit from them during the recovery phase of your exercise, that is to say when you've stopped. Not much point taking protein during exercise in my opinion.

Agree on protein bars not tasty very nice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Crone Woods is great as others have mentioned. You can go from a short walk up to the lookout at the waterfall to a full day including Djouce, Wicklow Way, Maulin etc. Get there early on a good day as the carpark gets very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Be aware that it closes at 5pm from October to March, but 9pm from April to September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

If you have good hiking boots (and a change of shoes/socks in case its wet) you could try the loop walk around Lough Bray upper and lower. Not too far from the M50, compared with glendalough etc.

Nearby, but even closer to the M50, and mostly all paved, there's a loop walk around the Bohernabreena reservoir. Get there early as its a small car park.

Thanks for more ideas

I did a bit of Bohernabreena reservoir (as from what I seen it was beside the car park but it's a good walk with a locked gate for the few houses etc) after the hellfire club (usually try and do one or two things when that far from Blanch too maximise petrol etc cost)

I must go up and do the loop as my main walk that day so!

Advertisement