Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom remodel: fitters installed this pipework on exterior wall. Is this normal?

Options
  • 03-11-2023 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I got the bathroom remodelled at not inconsiderable expense (€9000 ex vat) considering the small size of the bathroom (no more than 5sqm). Besides the drop in shower pressure, I'm not happy with what looks to be a pretty clumsy pipework arrangement on the exterior wall. Two new pipes (long white ones) have been installed without having been informed that this was to be done. I'm confused also as the original bathroom already had a drain pipe, which now seems to be defunct. The sink and shower tray of the new bathroom are at the same location as the old one.

The bathroom fitter could not immediately explain why the original pipe wasn't used, still waiting for an answer on this, but he thought it was unreasonable for me to complain about this setup saying that this is pretty standard.

I am unhappy that I wasn't informed or consented that this was to be done and I think this cluster of pipes in my yard looks bad and rather fragile. Am I unreasonable here or is this expected?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Hard to comment without the full facts. There may have been some reason why the existing drainage arrangements were unsuitable.

Outside is certainly a bit messy looking.

A new gully at the point they exit the wall would be better if falls allowed. I presume they are only responsible for the two new white ones? The black one and flexi set the bar rather low!

What is the flexi for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Flexi looks like a dishwasher or washing machine outlet/drain pipe….if so then the installer should be ‘executed’ 😡……could the large black one be a toilet waste…? Hardly as odours would be obvious….? Would it be possible to connect the higher of the two whites/new pipes into the lower one which might reduce the ugliness of the whole set up slightly……? Could they have installed the new white ones as the former/older ones were damaged/cracked/clogged up..?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

He installed two new white waste pipes.Absolutely standard and nothing wrong with it,maybe add another clip to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

the black pipe running along the ground looks like its a downpipe for your gutters it shouldn't run along the ground like that and if you have a septic tank it should not be connected into the foul water drains. the flexi pipe looks like it was the original pipe for the bathroom and if so could be removed the two new white pipes could do with extra clips

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Seb83

Thanks for the opinions. The black pipe is indeed from a gutter. The two new long white pipes are from the bathroom sink and shower. The flexi is from the kitchen sink. The one under it was the original pipe from the bathroom.

What is confusing is why they didn't use the existing pipe and there wasn't really an answer to this.

The drain eventually leads to the sewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

Storm water & grey water should not be 'fed' into the same gully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Not nowadays, but many older town installations had combined sewer and storm.

Advertisement