Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Gift

Options
  • 02-11-2023 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

What’s deemed an acceptable Wedding gift to give to a person? If you go on your own or turn up with your plus 1!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

For a totally normal wedding, full attendance, I'd give 100/150 single/couple unless you're close. Still keep getting invited at that amount so there's no rumour mill about being scabby anyway.

Don't buy them an item unless they've a wedding list or you know them astoundingly well. Like well enough that you could be marrying one of them. You run an incredibly high chance of giving something that is at best useless if its an item.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

150 was appropriate for a couple 10 years ago. I'd say that's on the low side not. 100 a head, is the typical min imo, close friends give more in my exp.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

I'd be in agreement with this - when we got married 5 years ago we basically got 200per couple. Close friends and fam gave more. Its an invitation not a summons though - give whatever you fell comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Its an invitation not a summons though - give whatever you fell comfortable with.

This is the important piece. Give what you feel you can afford and don't feel pressured to go overboard. You are invited because they'd like you there, not because you'll give money.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Absolutely. When people taking about these situations. They are talking about the typical/average/standard gift. It’s not a one size fits all thing.

It also not a competition. I’d rather not know what each individuals gives tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement