Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of Employment

Options
  • 02-11-2023 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

A friend of mine has been offered a job in the civil service and they said they will contact revenue for proof of current employment. She lost her job during covid and was unable to get a new one so started applying for jobs with her father's business listed as her current employer. She wasn't actually employed by him so I'm wondering if the civil service will definitely catch this? She is afraid of being banned from any future competitions so is considering abandoning this application to be safe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mr lebowski

I have never heard of the civil service contacting revenue before for proof of employment. The certainly didn't when I joined at the beginning of the year. They looked for references from my old employers directly via email but that was it.

I wouldn't withdraw I'd say she should be fine if it's not a requirement of the job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I find it a bit hard to believe that the Revenue have got themselves involved in confirming people's employment.... are you sure they have not asked her to produce some documentation that would have originated from the Revenue processes?

This is why you should never lie on these kind of applications about stuff that is so easy to check. And it is also why you should never involved others in your lies. If the Revenue, really did become aware of the situation it could bring a whole lot of pain for her father's business since she was not on the payroll.

Maybe start by clarifying the situations with her, because it sounds a bit off...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭apkmbarry

When I got my offer for the Civil Service, I had to produce 3 years of income tax documents. It never stated who employed me, just my gross, net and tax paid etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sounds more like what is happening happening in this case. Lets see what the OP has to say....

Advertisement