Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Captur PHEV

Options
  • 02-11-2023 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My better half is mulling the Renault Captur S-Edition PHEV 160 as her next car. She's had a from new mkIV Clio since 2015. Her current rationale for PHEV Vs BEV is that she can drive local and when she returns to work on all electric mode, but that she/we will still have ability to do regular 320km round trips to her folks and further afield without range anxiety.

I'm not too pushed with what she gets as long as the passenger seat is comfy 😁

Any opinions welcome, but budget including trade in absolute max of €32k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lena11

I was also mulling over the PHEV Captur this year but in the end decided to go for the regular hybrid version. What one salesperson (non Renault) told me was

• If you mainly drive in city/short distances that will be fully electric and occasionally a long drive PHEV is great
    • If you do a small amount of city driving but alot of long distance driving then the PHEV is a waste, as it has a medium size battery and it is heavy so fuel efficiency on long drives is not great. The much smaller battery on the hybrid is lighter.

Not sure how accurate the above is but I'm getting 5L/100KM at the moment (about 50% motorway driving and alot of N roads, not much city driving) and over 40% of distance is "non emission" (most of the city driving is in EV mode)

(Note I moved from a Diesel Clio getting 4.5L/100KM)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

thanks for the reply. The current car is a petrol clio and her own driving style is quite heavy footed and with late gear changes. I think the move to automatic alone will save her a fortune on fuel costs 🤣 The range quoted for all electric mode is 45km, her work commute is 20km roundtrip and we live in a city so a lot of our driving is rarely more than that.

On longer trips, we've gotten into the habit of using trains as much as possible. That said, a trip to her folks via train means going to Dublin or Galway 1st and then onto an Athlone bound one with literally hours wasted.

She was initially looking at diesel with an eye on the regular 320km round trips but is now leaning towards PHEV. I want an MG4 but its her shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I would expect just a tad more for the phev, the only real difference between the 2 is 160kg, the important thing is price, some phevs can be ridiculously expensive, for example the rav4 is 10k more than the hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭yermanthere

I'm not sure the maths add up for any phev. Saving 2l/100km, and "filling" battery twice per 100km, means a saving of less than 2euro for every 100km. So 200 quid saved every 10,000 km. Even one battery charge per 100km; means 300 euro/10,000 km.

Long time recouping the extra cost ( and interest on the finance) of a phev. Tbh just get a "regular" hybrid.

What figures are you using?

How much is the hybrid v the plug in?

Not so accurate advice in fairness.

• Advertisement

Phev @3.5l/100km (1.88per litre), plus 9.8kwh battery using 10.5 kw to fill ( 0.08 euro per kw).

e7.42 for 100km.

Regular petrol captur @5.5l/100km (1.88 litre)

e10.34 for 100km.

2.90 in the difference for 100km.

290 euro for 10,000km.

And that's being very generous to phev for both fuel consumption,and electricity rate.

And being hard on small petrol car for its fuel usage.

Tbh it's similar calculations for every phev. The price premium against a hev-hybrid or even an ICE with auto-gearbox means that you won't get your money back with phev. Most I've seen is an extra 3-5 thousand euro for phev version of a car. Note: interest rates are above 6% aswell. So that extra 3-5 thousand on sale price adds up quick.

I'm not anti-ev by the way. My car is ev. I just think phev is double exposure. For convenience it's the best of both worlds. But financially it's the worst of both.

No real saving chance with your fuel. Still paying full petrol prices, and can only take 10kw of electric at night rates. And still paying service rates for oil and filters. And now you're exposed to possible faults in 2 propulsion systems.

If you're charging a phev every night and getting most of your use out of that battery, then go full electric. If most of your daily use surpasses small battery then stick with ice. Why buy a vehicle based on journey that you make 6 times a year?

A slight change in what we (She😉) is considering now as after sitting in an Arkana, she's heading to dealer on Monday for a chat through her options. Was pleasantly surprised at the trade-in value offered for her near 9y.o Clio too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm hearing very bad things lately from a few Zoe owners about needing a new inverter so for that reason alone I'd stay away from anything Renault electric related. Their historical track record on internal combustion engines hasn't been great either so I wouldn't like to combine the two either

I see how you calculated it now, Its spot on for a 100km trip,

What your forgetting is all the trips done on electric, which for every 100km costs only what 1.50 euro maybe 2 euro? my own car is 1.7l and 15 kwh per 100 km, using your prices its 4.40km per 100km, a saving of nearly 600 euro per 10 000km, enough to pay for tax and insurance.

I did suggest previously to look at the prices between the hybrid and phev, some times its not worth it, if it was kia niro, the phev is 2 k more than hybrid but 4000 euro less than the EV, my mileage would cost me nearly 2000 euro in petrol in 2.5 years, not a huge amount but enough to cover the cost of the niro phev.

This thing of buying a car for 6 times a year seems reasonable, when I am using it for those 6 trips, I don't want hassle, I don't really care if the trip costs me 100euro or 200 euro I want to do it and complete it without planning or worrying about wind speed, direction or air temperature.

• Advertisement

I have to say thats my favourite body style, BMW and Mercedes have the same, I would love a gle 350de coupe.

I have to say thats what I think about renault as well, any time I mention it to others, some will say their engines are in fords etc, I have never purchased a renault because of it.

I think the styling is great. If she gets the technic or RS line then the gadgets will at least match the looks.

On the subject of Renault and it's electrics. I've owned 4 Renault at this stage (5 if we count the wife's Clio) The only one I've ever had electrical trouble with was a Mégane cabrio. The window regulator went on the driver side and others have had far worse happen, that said it was an 07 and 2yrs old when I bought it.

Besides that I had a MK3 Clio RS and 2 Clio mkIV and aside from servicing and routine maintenance, never had an issue.

The Mrs did lose a cylinder head last year on her mkIV but nothing electrical in the 8yra she's had that car, unless dodgy tyre pressure sensors count?

I'm not a Renault fanboy, despite the number of them I've owned. The trope of their dodgy electrics isn't something I've encountered in anything post 2010.

I know Ford and Peugeot had a deal a few years back but Ford and Renault is a new one for me.

Renault and Nissan share engines alright and as a result the timing chain on the 1.2L petrol nissan pulsar goes before the car hits 100k

Renault just seem to mess everything they touch up!

I honestly don't know which brand, its just talk about Renault with other people and how their engines are, my bias extends to anything French, car related, I have never purchased any French car, I know people drive them, so maybe its unfounded and at the same time I am happy with my choices when purchasing.

Its just something from my youth, when doing summer jobs, guys at lunch time talking about cars, it was the French cars that seem to cause problems, English ones also, I know cars from 40 years ago are not the same as now, its just something that stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Balsamnews

Yeah I would be going Toyota if it was hybrid, they are the market leader here for good reason and as much as people hate on Toyota, the hybrid Toyota's are fuel efficient and extremely reliable

Yaris Cross or even Corolla Cross are similar prices to that Renault as well, you'd want to be mad to buy one over the Toyota

If I was spending that money though it would Tesla Model SR all the way, so much more car for the money

I'd be more inclined to go for the Model 3 than the S

A quick google suggests

Corolla cross - €37,950

Captur PHEV - €35,370

Model 3 - €41,832

You wouldn't be long making up the €6,462 difference

it would take me 26 years if petrol prices stayed the same, doing about 13000 km a year

Firstly, what do you even need a car for? Taxis would work out better value at that rate surely?

Secondly I do 2,000km a month and it costs €70 so 338,000kms would cost €11,830 before you save the €6,462 so you're saying you'd have spent the equivalent of €18,292 or 10,162L of petrol doing 338,000km

Meaning your car does about 3L/100km, or 94MPG??

Post edited by Red Silurian on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Model 3 is a rather poor example of a family hatchback crossover. I don't think a direct comparison is warranted.

A quick Google would suggest the corolla cross has 436L of boot space vs the model 3s 561L (plus 88L in the front)... So yes if you want a car with less boot space you'd be better off with the corolla cross 👍

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's not just about the boot space, it's about car size and layout. It's not all that shocking to find that the Model 3 which is a D-Segment car is different from a C-Segment SUV. The EV space has moved on to a place where we should be looking at what a person wants from a car before blindly recommending a model because it has a battery.

What would you consider important qualities for a family car? Usually boot space is fairly high on most lists

If I'm looking at buying C segment hatchback as it's what I want and somebody starts suggesting D size saloons that don't have hatchbacks then I'm going to quickly realise they haven't listened to me. When I'm shopping for a vehicle I start with a size and body type and find a car that fits my needs. I rejected the Model 3 as my family hatchback pretty early on in the process.

OP has given a budget indication (~32k) and a type of car they're interested in. There's EV options that are similar but a Model 3 isn't one of them. Tesla need to expand their selection of cars into the compact car market. We've still got a couple of years till they get there. The car's discussed by OP all seem to be C segment crossovers, it feels like they are interested in that size of car instead of something bigger.

You have to turn you head side ways or the screen .

I don't understand what your saying about taxis , seems very impractical any way.

I don't understand what your are saying about doing 338,000kms or spending 18k on petrol.

I got the car in July, I have done 5500 km to now, I have spent 135 euro on petrol and plus what ever electricity.

Last car I had for a year I spent 250 euro on petrol plus electricity.

If you assume, both you and I spend the same per km on electricity, then the extra is on me for petrol, which I explained in the 2 sentences above.

For me to save €6,462 would take 26 years, in petrol terms for my use of the car.

41832 euro needs to be borrowed, I paid 20 000 cash for mine, I will sell it next year for more, in fact the last 12 years cars have cost me nothing, only petrol and diesel and for the last 5/6 years its only about 250/300 euro,

I will grant you something, once maybe twice a week I top up during the day @ 36 cents, so just a little extra there on electricity, but no extra for the convenience for stopping to fast charge and paying double day rate, plus I plug in every night @ 8 cent

So in short, 176mpg or 1.6l/100km + 15.1 kwh/100km not as good as 600 mpg but I am very very happy with it,

I just noticed I do 16000km a year, I always believed 12000,

Any way I would think the OP is in a spot of bother, she seems to have her heart set on a coupe, which I do not blame her for.

Advertisement