Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Detectives: Taking Down an OCG BBC

Options
  • 02-11-2023 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭

Anyone watch this three part series , set in Rochdale?

Its about a real-life police operation to take down a violent drug gang operating in Rochdale.

Finished last night.

I wondered about the police officer who appeared to be working for the gang but was subsequently not brought to justice and who I assume is still on the force.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yep, was pretty shocking that they are still on the force. Maybe coerced into working for the OCG?

Very hard watch at times with kids as young as 11 or 12 dragged into it but a great insight into the time, effort and resources involved in taking a crime group down.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Great call on this OP. Thanks for posting a thread on this. I’d have biased it otherwise. Hard to beeline that scum like that are operating in the real world. You’d expect to see it in a gritty no holds barred crime serial.

I couldn’t help thinking that one the head guy got only 2 years he would be back at it before long though I guess living up good family for longer would be a deterrent and h he’s probably on a watch list now. Also couldn’t he’d thinking there are probably more scummers very willing to plug the hole in the market so the cycle will just repeat.

The real kicker was the piece at the end about the tree surgeon. Poor guy. Even 9 years for the sort of stuff they’d been responsible for is just way too little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

A great show. It can be seen on BBC 2 Catch Up for those interested.

What a job those police have, they are so brave. Hats off to them. Happy to see those scumbags get some sort of a comeuppance. But very sad re the young tree surgeon. He declined a 10 grand pay off to stand up to those f*ckers. That took serious balls. You could tell the whole episode was very hard on him, and his parents. Hearing that at the end was shocking. Cause of death deemed to be unsuspicious but a coroner is still investigating his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Thanks. Re cause of death I’d assumed the worst on reading the piece at the end. In any case standing up like that took real guts and was no doubt hard but then the bloody courts system put him through the wringer twice. That would break the strongest of us. Outside of all that, I’d assumed also his career was over just as it was starting. Honestly life sentences were required for all involved to even justify that put guys sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Have it set to watch looking forward to it. Anyone watching the Met? great show

• Advertisement
Advertisement