Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Decks S4-E10 "Old Friends, New Planets" Spoilers Whitin

Options
  • 02-11-2023 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So it's the final episode of Season 4.

I wonder will the Lacarno thread be solved in this or will if be co tinued to next season. Stay tuned to find out.

Edit: Well that's that thread and the Lacarno thread solved alright. Was an enjoyable episode

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Post edited by AMKC on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'd say the Locarno thread is very solved.

A lot of pretty explicit Wrath of Khan parallels,from the music re-use and shot recreation. Otherwise a fairly straight forward enough bit of space adventure overall.

Some nice small details, the jokes about the resemblance to Tom Paris, the comment about the first time seeing someone use a captain's yacht, and Mariner appointing her new first officer.

Does the final scene with Tendi set her up as the big bad for the next season though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭corkie

Enjoyable episode, at least it didn't end on a big cliffhanger.

Paywall on a Bomb?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

Pretty good finale. I was a little surprised that the Steamrunner Class Mariner stole was having such a hard time against the various "Lower Decks" shuttles. I kind of assumed that the Steamrunner was built for battle and resembled a beefed up cross between a Defiant and a Sovereign. I expected a Steamrunner to have an easier time fighting them off (although in fairness it did take a serious beating and kept going).

Do kind of love how Mariner's story now ties into the TNG Episode "Lower Decks". It was undoubtfully the inspiration for this show, and it makes sense for there to be a link.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Steamrunners are just small destroyers, but there seems to an implication that the one they had wasn't up to scratch. There's no starfleet officers among Nova Fleet, and Mariner refers to it as an old tub(which doesn't seem right, it should still be a recent design at the time of LD, and way more modern than the Cerritos). It seems like the ship was stolen without any crew, and was maybe mothballed or being refit, or salvaged from the Dominion war. Locarno also states surprise she got it started, but that could just mean he didn't expect her to have her mothers command code.

The ship itself is named the USS Passaro, seemingly a reference to an Eaglemoss designer who died last year. A ship of the same name also appeared in Picard as a Gagarin class for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

That was a really fun episode, probably one of my favourites of the season. I liked the steamrunner, but it did seem somewhat small (at least from what I remember) so is it possible it's something like the Nova, with a similar design to the Intrepid, but smaller? The sideways D'deridex like Romulan ship was kind of interesting looking.

No can do Tendi two had me laughing quite a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

That was good! I think this has been a pretty sub-par season overall but I really enjoyed this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭corkie

@Spear Memory beta is ahead of alpha in listing the two ships.

Cast and characters

Continuity

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well I do say I quite enjoyed that one good sir.

Some really nice little movie scene recreations in there. Probably so many that I missed a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye definitely an episode you could watch again in fact watching the last two episodes together would be the best way to do it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Yep, it's probably been the weakest season of the four for me, but this is my favourite episode of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Really enjoyed it. Good strong season finale.

Definitely sorts out Lorcano anyhow.

Captains yacht was nice to see.

Cool using an Orion Destroyer as a ramming tool.

Laughed out loud at the Ferengi putting the disarm bomb code behind a paywall.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Apparently it's not a Steamrunner class, but a Sabrerunner. A failed experiment to create a smaller Steamrunner fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Would agree with this. Overall a much weaker season I think, but it finished strongly at least.

Ms

Laughed out loud at the Ferengi putting the disarm bomb code behind a paywall.

Yes that was funny and not any paywall but a two latnium bars needed paywall lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

And you know what, you really could see the Ferengi actually doing that.

As a season it was a bit disjointed. The overall season arc was badly integrated with the rest. I think it was 7 out of 8 episodes had essentially the same teaser scene being repeated, before going all in with it for the last two episodes. And T'lyn keeps appearing and disappearing randomly, sometimes playing major roles, and completely vanishing for other entire episodes. The individual episodes are good, but they don't make a coherent whole.

Its not really supposed to be a proper season arc though. Lower Decks like most Star Trek doesn't do season arcs.

Those scenes were always prologues or epilogues for that reason.

Thanks for that. Now it makes a lot more sense for the scale of it. I was confused since I had imagined Steamrunners to be much larger, but as said, it was not a Steamrunner.

They were admittedly making the cold opening do most of the heavy lifting for the season arc, which isn’t great long term. Previous seasons did a better job intergrating the arc within the episodes themselves.

Mariner had an interesting development arc which I had hoped they fleshed out more. We get the beginnings of her trauma with the loss of her TNG Lower Decks cadet friend, but then only brief mentions of what happened to her in the Dominion War. That’s a goldmine of potential character development there, and sets her apart from the other Lower Deckers since they were all likely still junior cadets during her War service.

Also, I get the feeling that the “Caves” episode was possibly a reheated plot that was intended for an earlier season but slotted in here to complete 8 episodes. There’s no T’Lynn, and they are given a very “Lower Decks” mission. It felt more like something from the earlier seasons, but was left out for being a weaker script. They managed to massage it into the current season, but it still felt out of place.

It’s not the best season of Lower Decks, but even then it is still the best Trek we’ve got going at the moment. A poor showing from Lower Decks still succeeds in towering over anything from Discovery or the early seasons of Picard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I know I'll be watching Lower Decks again. Multiple times, I would say, even the episodes that weren't the "best".

(Compare that to Picard, which I should never have watched even once)

• Advertisement

Even SNW I find gets less good with every rewatch. For instance I watched a good episode today but on rewatch without the excitement of the first watch was just shocked at how cringey M'Benga's "Hulk juice" or those crappy warped in Romulan and Federation fleets in the Balance of Terror remake (episode also butchered the amazing maroon uniform)

Lower Decks is the only new Trek that grows and reveals more with every rewatch.

Ms

For instance I watched a good episode today but on rewatch without the excitement of the first watch was just shocked at how cringey M'Benga's "Hulk juice" or those crappy warped in Romulan and Federation fleets in the Balance of Terror remake (episode also butchered the amazing maroon uniform)

Maybe but I would still rather watch SNW than Discovery.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I enjoyed LD season 4 more than season 3 tbh. Think the highs were better in season 4, don't really remember any standout moments in season 3 and the finale didn't really do it for me. Probably because the whole AI about to destroy the Federation thing had already been done in Discovery and Picard at that point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I enjoyed the episode, though Lower Decks loves ending a season with one of its cast dramatically leaving for some reason. Honestly, once bitten n all that; didn't really feel anything for Tendi's departure cos I knew she'd be back first episode of next season.

As to the season? Ah it was ok; I feel the ostensible comedy has been pared back quite a bit and don't remember as many rapidfire gags as there were before - it has become much more like normal Trek with occasional gags (the Ferenghi bomb with paywalled cancellation a good one though). Not sure how I feel about that. If I'm right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Very enjoyable overall.

Advertisement