Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hooded Vest,worth it?

Options
  • 01-11-2023 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi, I'm new to surfing, having rented a board this summer, I've caught the bug and picked up a board myself.

I've been out a few times,my wetsuit is a 4/3, and feels fine for now,but hoping to still head out in the winter so not sure if it would still do then.

Would anyone recommend using a hooded vest along with my wetsuit,or better off to go with a separate hood and vest,or even just a warmer suit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 goonso

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

You'll need a proper hood and glooves and boots to survive winter in a 4:3

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

I'd definitely recommend getting a good hooded 5/4 wetsuit (plus boots and gloves) rather than a hooded vest. I'd imagine a vest (even when worn with a 4/3) might actually restrict your movements when paddling and popping up - because the 4/3 is now being stretched over the vest. Also, with winter wetsuits (not so much with summer suits), the better quality suits are often well worth the higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

At a minimum, you'll absolutely need boots for surfing in Ireland from November/December to March. I've seen some people go without gloves, but I honestly don't know how they do it (but I like to keep warm).

Advertisement